Careful with those old TV's

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just how many frequencies are we absorbing  every day . ???? 
Actually it would be a really interesting exercise to go around the house with a spectrum analyser.  Unfortunately I no longer have access to such things.

However I don't subscribe to the wild theories which blame every ailment on RF fields. I knew a guy who had been in the merchant navy in the early days of radar and he related tales of standing in the beam to warm up and of using it to warm meat pies. He seemed to have survived ok.

yep. and some dodgy 'engineers'. cant find the fault, lets start replacing random parts. oh, it still  doesnt work. maybe we should look for the actual cause
Without knowing the underlying reasons it is difficult to diss the engineers replacing cables which may have been old or having pressure issues / water ingress.

Openreach do have a small number engineers that cover the whole country resolving interference issues but they are generally a last resort

Just how many frequencies are we absorbing  every day . ???? 
In some areas the frequency spectrum is full whether we absorb all the frequencies is a different matter as most of the frequencies only operate at low power

I guess that depends on how often you stand next to a microwave when its being used😀
How many people ever check their microwave for leakage, how many people are being gently cooked by their microwave while warming there food

Actually it would be a really interesting exercise to go around the house with a spectrum analyser.  Unfortunately I no longer have access to such things.

However I don't subscribe to the wild theories which blame every ailment on RF fields. I knew a guy who had been in the merchant navy in the early days of radar and he related tales of standing in the beam to warm up and of using it to warm meat pies. He seemed to have survived ok.
Even with a spectrum analyser what frequency bands would you look at.

I have often wondered how the power from a TV mast dissipates over the area it covers, quite a few are putting out 1Kw of power and the TV signal can be received many miles away so if you live near one you must absorb some of that power compared to somebody living 20 - 30 miles away

Your story reminds me of the instructor on an RF course we were on, he was telling the story of the RA investigating an interference issue they narrowed it down to a chip shop where the owner to save time heating pies had removed the door of the microwave and bypassed the door switch

On another occasion we had installed a small 2.4Ghz point to point radio to link the network between two buildings this radio link kept on dropping out for no apparent reason, on site with the spectrum analyser the problem was narrowed down to the wood merchants a few buildings away who had a very leaky microwave wood kiln that basically took out anything in the local area operating in the 2.4GHz band due to it's high power

Latest posts