Unusual question - powering one circuit from another

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brit-abroad

Reaction score
I just wanted to ask if this would work & be safe or not?

we rented a holiday apartment abroad via air bnb. It was supposed to have aircon included (it is too hot to sleep here) 

in each of the 2 bedrooms there are several plug sockets and an Air conditioning unit.

After 1 day the air conditioning stopped working and we were told that we had used up the credits. The plug sockets in the bedrooms stopped working too when the electricity credits ran out.

However the plug sockets in the rest of the apartment are working still and are on a separate circuit.

We are stuck with no air con & no fan as the plug sockets in the bedroom are all running on the same circuit at the sir conditioning.

There was no mention of any additional charge for air conditioning on the air bnb listing and we are stuck here now with my wide & children for weeks.

It occurred to me that If I bought an extension lead and put a plug on both ends, switched off the power switch on the plug sockets, and plugged it in to the working socket in the other room and in to the plug socket in the bedroom and then switched on both sockets, that might power up the air conditioning by simply powering it from the other circuit.

Would this work? Would it be safe? 
would it damage anything?

Maybe, definitely not, and quite possibly.

Just don't. Someone nearby has the switch which controls the power.  Take up your case with them and / or whoever you paid for the rental.

What is the rating of the aircon unit?

Normally they are too higher rating for a standard socket and should be on a dedicated circuit

Paying for the circuit they are on is probably a safer and more sensible solution

most smaller air con units will be fone plugged in, especially if it always is

really, unless it was specifically stated that the aircon / socket in bedroom would cost extra, then it should be getting turned back on. id be calling them and telling them that the circuit is faulty and they need to send someone to fix it

Just a thought.  Are you renting from an absent owner who employs someone local to oversee day to day operation? 

Just maybe the local caretaker is trying to make a few extra ££ on the side. 

Whatever, I would definitely be speaking firmly to the seller who told you electricity is included. 

We complained to the owner snd she said that as we have kids she will too up the air conditioning for us...

we are just trying to eak it out When it gets too hot.

thanks forbthe advixe everyone.

i wont interfere with it...

I would suggest a short real-time message to booking.com, raise the issue with them, they are pretty quick responders. They will intervene with host to resolve.