You may find this hard to believe but ........

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really pleased with the new TV    , Sony Bravida  .   

Our DVD player was playing up , & scart lead only  so bought a new Sony DVD  player  , the size of a matchbox .  

Theres a pamphlet with it  showing how to do all manner of stuff  ...what it doesn't mention is how do I play a DVD   :C

Yes I dare say some passing  8 yr old could set it up in seconds  but ....  its powered up  ,  HDMI lead is connected ,   it accepts a disc  but what you do after that is a mystery .     I spent an hour last night pressing buttons , searching for menus .    

Anyone got a clue ?  

Have you told the Sony tv which hdmi port the DVD is connected to? This is normally something you have to do each time you swap to an external device

then where you are viewing the correct input, you should see your film playing

top left button on the remote control

on the remote push the top left button:

Remote.jpg

Then do you see this on your screen?

tv screen.jpg

if so you've nearly got there because one of the HDMI ports will show which one is connected to the DVD (make sure its on) 

I got there in the end although it seems a bit hit & miss ....my remote is slightly different to yours   but yes ,  pressing input gives  choices , one being HDMI 4   but it keeps trying to jump to something called Air  time  or something .   

Not the best guide TBH   .      

Thanks for the advice .    

Our old LG did that ,   just load a DVD and  it changed over ... this one is a bit of a journey  ....with this defaulting to "Air Play " all the time  .  

For an idiot like me the manual is very poorly written  .    

Our old LG did that ,   just load a DVD and  it changed over ... this one is a bit of a journey  ....with this defaulting to "Air Play " all the time  .  

For an idiot like me the manual is very poorly written  .    

Try swapping the hdmi to another hdmi port and see if that works ......... so when you turn on the DVD it automatically displays the film.

I have stopped defferring such things to No1 son, if you don't keep up with the tech yourself, you just get completely lost! 

Always worth just pressing buttons to see what they do - you can't break it!