Replacement Defrost Thermostat - Different Colour Wires

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattAllen

Reaction score
I am trying to replace the Defrost Thermostat on my Amana American Fridge Freezer. The original part has one blue wire and one grey wire. However the replacement part has two blue wires. 

As the original defrost thermostat wires were different colours I wondered if they had to be connected a certain way. If that's the case I'm not sure how to approach this as the wires on the replacement part are the same colour.

Is there anything I can do to identify which of the two blue wires on the replacement part should connect in to where the original grey or blue wires connected the old part or shouldn't it matter?

I've included a link to the new part I have bought below, which shows a picture.

https://www.cattermoleelectrical.co.uk/products/manufacturer/amana/amana-maytag-thermostat-kit-r0161085

Appreciate any help as a first time poster on this site.

Thanks

Matt

From the picture it looks like only two wires connect to the device and the others are just looped together.   Logically it must be those two which connect to replace the original.

However those loops also look to short out the device which doesn't make sense. Are all three single terminals or is one a two pin ?

Thanks Geoff, they are all single terminals. The original part didn't have the loops, just one blue wire and one grey wire both going to single terminals. I was just worried that if there was some reason for the different colour wires if I wired the new part in the wrong way round it may damage the part when I turn the fridge back on. 

With two connections  I consider it's unlikely to be anything more than a pair of switch contacts, but at best part of £50 a shot I understand your reluctance to gamble.

What I can't make sense of is that the two wires from the device appear to go to the two right hand terminals, BUT the other wire from each of those seems to go to the third terminal which would short out the device!

Perhaps that's an illusion in the photo?

Can you not get technical advice from the spares supplier you bought it off?

Give it a bit longer and someone else may be along here with a more enlightening answer. It's not however a group which deals much with appliance repair so you may be wise to search elsewhere.

Thanks Geoff. I just disconnected the other wires and just went with the two wires as per the original part. Installed it yesterday and seems to be working so far. Thanks for the help.

Matt

That's most likely to be what you are supposed to do, the alternative wiring being intended for other models. It would be nice if the supplier provided such instructions though. 

Thank' you for letting us know.