Recommendations for 18th edition multi function test equipment

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomsw18

Reaction score
I'm looking for some recommendations on installation testers please.

On site where I currently work, the standard is the Fluke 1662 whereas years ago it was the Robin and a Megger.

The RS Brand ones look very similar to the Fluke but a bit cheaper.

The guy in CEF said most people are now buying the Megger but can't comment why.

I'm not looking for cheapest - just looking for the right tester at the right price.

Also looking for recommendations on certification software.

@Murdoch has already recommended Shineforms which looks good. 

Anything that offers an API that I can maybe integrate with our website would be useful.

Thanks in advance.

I'm looking for some recommendations on installation testers please.

On site where I currently work, the standard is the Fluke 1662 whereas years ago it was the Robin and a Megger.

The RS Brand ones look very similar to the Fluke but a bit cheaper.

The guy in CEF said most people are now buying the Megger but can't comment why.

I'm not looking for cheapest - just looking for the right tester at the right price.

Also looking for recommendations on certification software.

@Murdoch has already recommended Shineforms which looks good. 

Anything that offers an API that I can maybe integrate with our website would be useful.

Thanks in advance.

A previous forum sponsor, ISSWWW, usually has decent prices for test gear

https://isswww.co.uk/

may be worth a look..

No such thing as an 18th edition tester..   anymore than there was a 17th or 16th edition tester..

For a strange reason various outlets like to describe test meters in this way???

Its just the functions that describe a meter not the edition of wiring regs' that are current when you are buying the meter..   

The right tester really is a personal thing...

You will always get the Fluke/Megger debate..

But there are also several other brands that provide perfectly functional test meters...  e.g. Metrel & Kewtech are other common choices..

It's not just the meter, its the support service who you buy it from..

e.g. if something goes wrong how quickly can your meter be fixed and returned so you're not without it for days on end..

A previous forum sponsor, ISSWWW, usually has decent prices for test gear

https://isswww.co.uk/

may be worth a look..

No such thing as an 18th edition tester..   anymore than there was a 17th or 16th edition tester..

For a strange reason various outlets like to describe test meters in this way???

Its just the functions that describe a meter not the edition of wiring regs' that are current when you are buying the meter..   

The right tester really is a personal thing...

You will always get the Fluke/Megger debate..

But there are also several other brands that provide perfectly functional test meters...  e.g. Metrel & Kewtech are other common choices..

It's not just the meter, its the support service who you buy it from..

e.g. if something goes wrong how quickly can your meter be fixed and returned so you're not without it for days on end..

Wow - on first glance their prices do look good - thanks.

I've never really referred to them as 18th edition testers before - obviously been swayed by sales talk haha.

What testers do you use now? 

ive been using a metrel for the last 11 years and it’s great. Considering replacing it with their model which has the module for testing EV points - not many testers can do this afair

im pro Metrel as they are about 45 minutes from me so if anything goes wrong I can deliver it and collect it

if you are tempted by 2nd hand units make sure they are calibrated.

where is the uk are you ?

Last edited by a moderator:
where is the uk are you ?

OP - just noticed you are in London.

Metrel are in Epsom and they will do demo's of their kit if you ask - you then have to buy from a reseller but their knowledge of their products is far better than the typical reseller

What is your budget and how does a 17th edition tester differ from an 18th except the number on the box?

@Murdoch - thanks again for your input today!
I'm just starting out. I've been in the industry for nearly 20 years and currently a Project Manager on large industrial Electrical Contracts, but due to family commitments I now need to rethink how I work and be able to stay local to South West London rather than travelling up to the Midlands/North every week so I'm in the middle of a bit of a career change really.
My current company uses the flukes but have never considered anything else as no-one has ever looked into it.

I'm looking to purchase my first one (from new) and not fussed about brand or cost - just looking for an all rounder with some good recommendations from actual electricians rather than salesman recommendations.

This is ahead of my registration with either NICEIC or NAPIT. I've done my 18th Edition and Part P and mid-way through 2391-52 training. 

I'm based in Wandsworth.