Installation methods

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Traineeboy

Reaction score
When you fill out a minor works for say replacing a light. When if asks you what install method was used is it talking about the circuit or just the fitting you installed ? 

also if it was just a light how are you meant to know what is in the ceiling above and how much insulation etc ? 

What do you guys do ? 

If, and I say IF I do a MWC,  it would purely confirm the Zs for the circuit and maybe the RCD test on my invoice.

However if the lighting circuit doesn't have an earth or if there is no Zs for another reason or dare I say its VIR cable I would ALWAYS to a MWC to CMA

There is no mandatory need for MWC's for such minor changes , ESPECIALLY as any Tom, Dick or Harry can and will do them and they don't have ANY test kit in the norm

Tin hat firmly on.

Last edited by a moderator:
When you fill out a minor works for say replacing a light. When if asks you what install method was used is it talking about the circuit or just the fitting you installed ? 

also if it was just a light how are you meant to know what is in the ceiling above and how much insulation etc ? 

What do you guys do ? 

The "model form" for minor works on page 465 doesn't ask for installation method...????

The notes on Minor works certificates on page 466 do say that a MWC 'may be used for the replacement of accessories or luminaires'....

But I have always understood it to be "optional" whether to do one or not for these situations...

e.g.  I look at it as a general rule you are not changing the fundamental characteristics of an installation, or a final circuit by just swapping a light or socket front...

(The circuit has not been physically extended, there are no additional outlet points drawing more current).   

So the existing protective device(s) and cable selection and Zs all remain unaltered..

Converting an existing single socket outlet to a double is another similar situation...

No wiring has changed, circuit parameters are all still the same... 

Whereas..

Swapping an MCB to upgrade a 2.5mm radial from 16A BS60898, to 20A BS61009 you have changed some fundamental protective characteristics...

so you need to verify & document, that the circuit still meets the required parameters of BS7671  

OR..

Taking down a single pendant and fitting 4x 230v recessed spot-lamps in a room, has extended a circuit and added additional outlet points onto the circuit..

and would need testing & documenting that your alteration(s) are compliant with BS7671..

If I were issuing a MWC for a replacement light I would include comments to state, "no wiring altered, limited testing undertaken"

(polarity, earth continuity, ZS  Probably the only relevant info for a light swap?)

and just write "LIM" across all of the not relevant items... 

Guinness