Wall socket with reversed wiring

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrglum

Reaction score
Hi, I own a flat which has a tenant, it managed by a letting company and they arrange to have an electricity inspection carried out once a year. A couple of weeks ago they contacted me to say the flat needs an EICR survey which was done. The survey report says the flat needs a new consumer box and bathroom light fitting, but in addition to that it identified a wall socket in the kitchen has been connected wrongly, it has reversed wiring. 
I am concerned about this, is it dangerous?  Is it something that should have been identified during any the previous electrical inspections?

regards, 

ron

It should have been picked up ...unless someone tampered with it  between inspections .

It is potentially dangerous specially if the   L &  E are reversed .      Should be attended to  as  " Urgent remedial work"   C2

The "consumer box"   is probably plastic where a modern one would be metal  ... probably nothing wrong with it   . 

Bathroom light fittings should be "enclosed "  ideally .    

Last edited by a moderator:
If your existing fuseboard / consumer unit has RCD protection it won't need changing

A C2 for a bathroom fitting, if less than 2.25 m from the floor

A C2 for the reversed polarity on the socket - should it be noticed before but who's to say somebody hasn't fiddled with it

I have said this before, but if I were doing an EICR and found just one socket with wrong wiring, I would probably just unscrew it, have a look and put it right.  Probably quicker than the paperwork if failing it.

But then I am interested in giving a good service to my customers, not just racking up a a list of remedial work to do on a separate visit at extra cost.

I had one today.... no earth at a socket.... check the actual socket and it was connected,, check the one that it was most likely supplied from and it wasn't connected... fixed in only a few minutes.... I still noted it on the EICR though as the place has had a load of work carried out recently by someone, and not to a good standard