Through crimps, are they that bad?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jibspark

Electrician
Reaction score
Hi All,

all of my apprenticeship i was told through crimps were a big nono!

as time has gone on and ive started to think for myself im starting to think they aren't that bad.

i just want to make sure its not just my standards dropping! lol

i might need to replace a flush fit socket with a surface mount and i will almost certainly need the cables to be longer, are through crimps the way forward or would you use wago's?

Through crimps are perfectly acceptable even in a non-accessible location. Good practice to heat shrink over the top or use the one with heat shrink built in!

Give it a tug to test it! Will be fine. No room in a back box for Wago's!

Nothing wrong with them, I personally, will use them. I never get any problem with loose connections either. :)

I use crimps and heat shrink a lot mate, just take your meter readings before and after so that you know there joined correctly and job done. :)

cool! i will order up some crimps and a few wagos aswell. Cheers for the advice all! :D

Jibspark, its another of those "Myths of the Trade" . I remember the same thing as an apprentice, " Its really bad to do joints" until a sparky pointed out that the whole distribution network is full of joints, in fact is based on jointing.

I think some of these things come from one man's erronious opinion and spreads through a firm till everyone is thinking it instead of thinking for themselves.

The firm my colleague worked for decided you couldn't have a pendant in a kitchen, had to be a batten holder or whatever, but never a pendant . Years later he can't get it out of his head , I've said show me the Reg but there never was one.

Another one was " You must put the cooker and shower fuse/MCB next to the main switch in a consumer unit" Another "Myth of the Trade" load of ballcocks!!

lol very good points!

ive just had a look at the price of a full wago kit!!! i nearly died!

lol very good points!ive just had a look at the price of a full wago kit!!! i nearly died!
Buy some of the packs, if you start to use them more and more then maybe go for the bulk pack, remember it's a trade off with time spent with alternate fixings

PS don't forget your fees should cover all parts used on the job, just because a Wago is only a few pence doesn't mean that you don't add

i think your right, i will just buy a couple of packs for now. no way i can afford a bulk kit at the mo!

Do a search on the forum Jib, I have have supplied links to the cheaper version and are they are great IMHO.

They are all rated higher than the cables that will fit in them - that'll do for me!Guiness Drink
Just make sure you use a decent rachet crimping tool not one that is hand tightned if you know what I mean.

Batty