Wonder how much this set up cost??????

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would love to see the return on investment, and payback time calculations.

Every time I try and crunch the numbers, even for a DIY battery storage system, it will never pay for itself before the batteries need replacing.

I would love to see the return on investment, and payback time calculations.

Every time I try and crunch the numbers, even for a DIY battery storage system, it will never pay for itself before the batteries need replacing.

the numbers tend to work out at about 12 year payback, based on single charge/ discharge per day. You can enhance this with grid-trading, but as that pays about 5p per kWh it seems daft to spend so uch to gain so little. If,  you can charge / discharge battery several times a day, it does make a big difference to pay back times, but this is an unlikely scenario for most people. Persoanally I reckon you are better off with an electric vehicle that is 'at home' a lot (ie you are retired). Some of the solar inverters have EV charging built in, you then want a unit that can be programmed to charge up car only when surplus leccy is being generated by a set of solar panels. Evn ths doesn't give great pay back, but if you hate paying money to utility companies, it may suite you? 

That Duracell battery is A BYD battery in a pretty frock. It's only a out 3.3kWh but 100kg. It's a beast and outdated, the next gen is supposed to be good. The Social Energy stuff is a good though. 

the numbers tend to work out at about 12 year payback, based on single charge/ discharge per day. You can enhance this with grid-trading, but as that pays about 5p per kWh it seems daft to spend so uch to gain so little. If,  you can charge / discharge battery several times a day, it does make a big difference to pay back times, but this is an unlikely scenario for most people. Persoanally I reckon you are better off with an electric vehicle that is 'at home' a lot (ie you are retired). Some of the solar inverters have EV charging built in, you then want a unit that can be programmed to charge up car only when surplus leccy is being generated by a set of solar panels. Evn ths doesn't give great pay back, but if you hate paying money to utility companies, it may suite you? 

It might be what you're meaning anyway but I think it might be tesla that you can use the car as the battery or an additional battery, obviously only when it's plugged in. 

It might be what you're meaning anyway but I think it might be tesla that you can use the car as the battery or an additional battery, obviously only when it's plugged in. 

Tesla aren't the only innovators, but frankly I don't see the benefit of using the car battery, unless you only drive once a week.

I saw something about this on the news a month or so ago.... IIRC they have trialing using EV's as battery storage, feeding back into the grid at peak demand and charging at low demand (obviously they're selling the electricity at more than they're buying it) .... again IIRC the guy that they were talking to had a Zoe or Leaf and had made about £1k in the previous 12 months.... the charge point with inverter built in cost something like £5k

I saw something about this on the news a month or so ago.... IIRC they have trialing using EV's as battery storage, feeding back into the grid at peak demand and charging at low demand (obviously they're selling the electricity at more than they're buying it) .... again IIRC the guy that they were talking to had a Zoe or Leaf and had made about £1k in the previous 12 months.... the charge point with inverter built in cost something like £5k

It's all part of 'smart networking' . Give it a few years and there will be a load of systems doing this, all running via t'internet, which is fine until that collapses as it does once in a while 

I've just had an email today from Wallbox.... it seems that they've developed a "bi-directional" charge point that they're calling "Quasar"... no prices as yet from what I can tell but it'll be interesting.. especially if you can tie it in with the Octopus tariffs

I would NOT entertain the idea of using an EV battery for general house storage.

I saw a good analysis of a typical EV battery usage, given the range of the car on a full charge, and charging once when flat, then given the expected life of the battery in charge / discharge cycles, it was clear that the battery would last well in excess of 200,000 miles.  So in practical terms the battery should last the life of the vehicle.

Start charging and discharging it daily for house use as well and you would kill the battery life and it would be unlikely to do that same 200K miles.

That brings you to a good question to ask, if buying a second hand EV:  "Has the car battery ever been used for home or grid storage?"  If yes, the car should be devalued appropriately.

Dunno why..

But my gut feeling is if you can afford to have an electric car plugged into your house supplying power back to the grid......

then you probably DONT need the electric car in the first place!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:C

e.g. If you only have one car...   

its not much good having its fuel supply drained down so when you may need it it hasn't got enough capacity to go where you need to go,

without waiting several hours for it to charge it back up again!

Guinness    

I think that the idea is to use them as short term boosts to the network, much like the Dinorwic hydroelectric dam.... and that you can set how much battery capacity you plan on needing, at a set time, and it works it out to ensure that happens..... on the other hand it would not do the battery any good having it constantly plugged in and at 100% at all... (that is something that kills the battery capacity over time)