VHS transfer to PC

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

revjames

'funny' man™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have recently unearthed a pile of old VHS tapes. Mainly home video of my family etc. I want to get them all on to the PC to edit and sort out storage properly. I bought a cheap USB stick with composite cables that can go into the VCR but its poor and lots of interference. VHS plugged directly into TV gives a relatively good picture.

Looking for recommendations as to a solution. Anyone done this successfully?

Haven't done it yet....

But its on my "must get round to doing it list" !

I had been thinking probably need to go for something like one of these VCR to USB players...

https://www.hifix.co.uk/ion-vcr-2-pc-usb-vhs-video-conversion-player

On a similar vein I found I got a better quality using a Sony turntable with integral USB to convert vinyl records to MP3 on my PC,

compared to a £20 phono lead to USB converter..

Probably less plug & connectors to introduce noise & distortion ?

:coffee

Haven't done it yet....

But its on my "must get round to doing it list" !

I had been thinking probably need to go for something like one of these VCR to USB players...

https://www.hifix.co.uk/ion-vcr-2-pc-usb-vhs-video-conversion-player

On a similar vein I found I got a better quality using a Sony turntable with integral USB to convert vinyl records to MP3 on my PC,

compared to a £20 phono lead to USB converter..

Probably less plug & connectors to introduce noise & distortion ?

:coffee

Thanks SL, the machine in question in your link is no longer available, if you do decide to do anything be careful. I dusted off my VCR and popped a tape in and it chewed it up. Thorough clean of heads and mechanism was done and now at least I know the tapes will be safe, if the heads are dirty the tape gets picked up and goes around the head. Not what you want with 30 year old memories. Also the longer you leave it the more chance of tapes degrading or getting mouldy etc so important to get on the case. Maybe there will be one of those machines on ebay? will look up reviews in the meantime.

Latest posts