How to get 18th Edition as a foreign engineer?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kadir

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I hope you are all doing well.

I'm an Electrical and Electronics Engineer and I'm not an UK citizen. I moved to UK about 10 days ago and I have full working rights. First thing I did was my NARIC assessment, and I have got  RQF level 6 which is equivalent to NVQ level 4. But rather than this NARIC assessment, I have no certificate or education in UK. Now when I started searching for jobs, almost every advert says I MUST have 17th or 18th Edition Certificate. 

I did search about that too but it is so complicated for someone foreign. I found courses starting from 3 days to 40 days, and from 250 pounds to 4000 pounds. It is really unclear and frustrating which one is which. It looks like all courses for either certified electricians or someone who trained to be an electrician. But there is no information about foreign engineers who doesn't have and education in UK. Also the courses I found starts in January 2021, I would like to get it earlier than that if possible. 

I have working experience as electrician and also engineer for a while. So I could say I am quite confident with my knowledge and background. I will buy the 18th edition book and study, but I don't know how to move forward from that. I only need this 18th edition certificate to work as an engineer, so I'm happy to go with the quickest/cheapest way to get it. I can take the exam only after studying. Does anybody know which pathway I can follow? 

Thanks in advance.

so anyone can go and take an open book exam and become a certified/qualified electrician? I feel like there should be some sort of requirements or trainings before the exam. 

The 18th edition exam shows that you know how to read and understand the UK electrical regulations, just shows you a keeping up to date with the requirements. And it does not make you an electrician.

Hi Kadir, UK qualification for Electricians can be confusing for most HR departments.  To practice as an electrician either doing installation or maintenance work you only need a recognised electrical industry qualification or equivalent.

However, when it comes to the IET (IEE) Wiring Regulations there a lot of misunderstanding.  This exam was first introduced when the regulations changed from the 14th to the 15th and only applied to JIB registered electricians’.  As they needed to prove up-to-date on latest Regs as part of their JIB grading scheme.  You do not actually need it to work as electrician, but it does provide proof you know how to comply with the “Electricity At Work Act 1989” (UK Law).  Some people and HR department mistakenly think it an electrical qualification, IT IS NOT.  No way does it qualify anyone to work as an electrician.  It is solely a qualification on the Regs and that you know what expected of you.  It unquestionably is not an electrical qualification.  In addition, some people mistakenly believe it only necessary for installation electricians to have it.  Again, they wrong.  A factory maintenance job requires that you know the regulations as it applies to the factories electrical distribution network.  Such as using the correct industrial socket outlets (i.e. BS4343) and NOT the 13A (BS7671) domestic ones, which not allowed under the Regs.  Anyone who fully understands the Regs will know this.

When it comes to the electrical circuits in factory equipment’s control panel after the isolator.  There a completely different set of standards that you need to know, such as the correct wire colours for different types of internal circuits (i.e. 3ph or 1ph power circuits, 230Vac & 110Vac control circuits, 24vDC control circuits, or circuits powered from another control panel and even which is the correct wire types to use).

There two types of course you can take for the 18th Edition.  One that is few days and only for electrician who already have the 17th and need to understand the differences.  However, there a much longer one for electrician who do not know the Regs at all.  You need the longer one, as have no existing understanding of Regs

Hi Kadir, UK qualification for Electricians can be confusing for most HR departments.  To practice as an electrician either doing installation or maintenance work you only need a recognised electrical industry qualification or equivalent.

However, when it comes to the IET (IEE) Wiring Regulations there a lot of misunderstanding.  This exam was first introduced when the regulations changed from the 14th to the 15th and only applied to JIB registered electricians’.  As they needed to prove up-to-date on latest Regs as part of their JIB grading scheme.  You do not actually need it to work as electrician, but it does provide proof you know how to comply with the “Electricity At Work Act 1989” (UK Law).  Some people and HR department mistakenly think it an electrical qualification, IT IS NOT.  No way does it qualify anyone to work as an electrician.  It is solely a qualification on the Regs and that you know what expected of you.  It unquestionably is not an electrical qualification.  In addition, some people mistakenly believe it only necessary for installation electricians to have it.  Again, they wrong.  A factory maintenance job requires that you know the regulations as it applies to the factories electrical distribution network.  Such as using the correct industrial socket outlets (i.e. BS4343) and NOT the 13A (BS7671) domestic ones, which not allowed under the Regs.  Anyone who fully understands the Regs will know this.

When it comes to the electrical circuits in factory equipment’s control panel after the isolator.  There a completely different set of standards that you need to know, such as the correct wire colours for different types of internal circuits (i.e. 3ph or 1ph power circuits, 230Vac & 110Vac control circuits, 24vDC control circuits, or circuits powered from another control panel and even which is the correct wire types to use).

There two types of course you can take for the 18th Edition.  One that is few days and only for electrician who already have the 17th and need to understand the differences.  However, there a much longer one for electrician who do not know the Regs at all.  You need the longer one, as have no existing understanding of Regs

Thank you @Speed, that was really helpful. So, when I want to apply for jobs to work as an Electrical Engineer, they (almost all of them) ask for the 17th or 18th edition, and also other City&Guilds certificates such as 2391 Inspection certificate etc. My understanding was, I needed the 18th Edition and I can get other City&Guilds certificates only if I have the 18th edition. 

I want to practice as an engineer, I have a degree and I already transferred my degree with NARIC (RQF Level 6). I don't have any certificate to work as an electrician. Why do companies ask for 18th Edition if they want to hire an engineer tho? 

I just want to be able to meet the job requirements before applying for an Engineering position, which is the 18th Edition and also some additional City&Guilds certificates. And I'm looking for the quickest and cheapest way to get those on my CV. 

Also, there are companies who does 'exam only'. So apparently I can sit for the exam without a course if I'm confident. Although I trust my background, I'd like to take some sort of guided course before taking the exam, but I'm not sure if I should do it, or find and online course (which would make it easier) or study myself try without a course. 

I think you are getting lost in translation, in this country the word ‘Engineer’ is mis-used, so you need to be sure that what you are applying for is actually an Electrical Engineers position and not just another interpretation for electrician. 

@Sharpend yes I think that's what it is. I did more research and looks like a lot of companies doing the same. It's difficult to find an 'proper engineering' job advert as they're all advertised as engineering haha.

If you a re  seriously trying to get into engineering in the UK you may consider trying to get membership of IET.

I believe IET does recognise overseas qualifications so if yours  are the appropriate level you should qualify. 

This could open doors for you with companies recruiting "real" engineering jobs, as distinct from electricians and technicians.

I completely agree with both 'Sharpend' & 'Geoff1946' comments. Most company Human Resources departments have absolutely no idea about proper job titles. To most, if you know which end of a spanner to use it makes you an Engineer. Lol. There nothing wrong with the proper title of Electrician or Fitter or any of their subset (i.e. Electrical Fitter, Electrician, Approved Electrician, Electrical Technician, etc.). However, as mention the term Engineer is grossly misused in UK. For example, we no longer have Plumbers anymore. They called 'Heating Engineers', yet not one of them has a degree.

Most job adverts are not for an Engineer, what they really mean is a maintenance fitter or electrician. However, having said that. Even Electrical Engineers need to be up-to-date with UK electrical law. Unless working with HV, if designing electrical systems you still need to comply with regulations.

BTW. What your degree in Electrical or Mechanical engineering?

Locked to prevent being resurrected (again)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.