Qualified Supervisor requirements

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skinny

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just looking into joining a Part P CPS as a qualified supervisor and they all state 2 years of electrical experience required.  I've got 10 years experience in Australia, but only a few months over here (but I have all the other requirements they need)

Does anyone know if they are asking for specifically UK experience?  I had the same issue when I got my ECS Gold Card, although I have all the qualifications they won't give me Approved Electrician status until I have held a standard Electrician Gold Card for 2 years.

I've tried calling them several times today but no-one is answering the phone.

Hi everyone,

Just looking into joining a Part P CPS as a qualified supervisor and they all state 2 years of electrical experience required.  I've got 10 years experience in Australia, but only a few months over here (but I have all the other requirements they need)

Does anyone know if they are asking for specifically UK experience?  I had the same issue when I got my ECS Gold Card, although I have all the qualifications they won't give me Approved Electrician status until I have held a standard Electrician Gold Card for 2 years.

I've tried calling them several times today but no-one is answering the phone.
this is nothing personal, this is their requirement. 

out of interest do you have to use Naric to transfer/compare your qualies from Oz to qualies here? 
when you say you have what they ask is that equivalent to uk qualifications? 

this is nothing personal, this is their requirement. 

out of interest do you have to use Naric to transfer/compare your qualies from Oz to qualies here? 
when you say you have what they ask is that equivalent to uk qualifications? 

Hi Sharpend,

Yeah I totally understand, and agree with the JIB requirements for 2 years experience, I'm just worried the schemes may apply the same logic and hinder me being able to join up to do domestic work for myself.  The aussie electrical qualification (Certificate 3 in Electrotechnology Electrician) is recognised by the JIB as equivalent to a C&G Level 3 Electrical Installation qualification .. I didn't require a NARIC statement of compatibility as Australia has a JIB-approved electrical licence system.  When I got back here in May I did my 18th edition and 2391-52 inspection and testing.  I'm just going to be a bit deflated if I can't sign off or notify my own work for 2 years.

I would imagine that the schemes will adopt you very quickly can’t see it being an issue to be honest. 

The JIB and the schemes are completely separate bodies so ones rules doesn’t apply to the other. 

If you have transferred your qualifications across and have proven experience this won't be an issue.

Get to know BS7671 well and how we work in the UK. Also safe isolation procedures, customer complaints and all the other gumpf that goes with it.