testing before starting the job.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boltonsparky

Reaction score
Interested to know if most of you carry out any testing before you start the job you're there to do or just crack on and deal with any issues once they're found?

Simple job today, convert a couple of existing 1 gang sockets to 2 gangs. Open circuit on cpc, spurs off spurs, grommets missing, a total DIY nightmare, some in red and black so predating the stickered CU change in 2007. Found this out during testing after doing the job and the subsequent investigation to locate the break in cpc. Not the first time I've come across it. 

From now on and talking to others I'm going to do the testing when turning up and advising of any faults before starting work, as well as the testing after doing my work. 

I'd looked at the job before hand to give them a price, split load RCD board relatively new, bonding up to standards, thought it'd be a decent circuit but far from it. 

Similarly when changing out an accessory like for like how many of you do the full testing or just take a Zs and visual of bonding/earthing arrangements? 

Similarly when changing out an accessory like for like how many of you do the full testing or just take a Zs and visual of bonding/earthing arrangements? 

Maybe Zs - value noted on invoice

As for bonding absolutely NOT

as for "bigger" jobs - I talk about issues with the customer when I do a site visit .............. so they are well aware that things could get complicated and more expensive

Last edited by a moderator:
Interested to know if most of you carry out any testing before you start the job you're there to do or just crack on and deal with any issues once they're found?

Simple job today, convert a couple of existing 1 gang sockets to 2 gangs. Open circuit on cpc, spurs off spurs, grommets missing, a total DIY nightmare, some in red and black so predating the stickered CU change in 2007. Found this out during testing after doing the job and the subsequent investigation to locate the break in cpc. Not the first time I've come across it. 

From now on and talking to others I'm going to do the testing when turning up and advising of any faults before starting work, as well as the testing after doing my work. 

I'd looked at the job before hand to give them a price, split load RCD board relatively new, bonding up to standards, thought it'd be a decent circuit but far from it. 

This really is "Six of One  &  Half a Dozen of the other" type question...

Or....  50:50,   phone a friend or ask the audience..

Or....  Swings & Roundabouts....

Few months back...  (in fact loads of months back... Pre-Covid lockdowns started!!!)....

Asked to quote for two additional sockets in a room that's been redecorated...

I pop-in & open up the existing socket in the room, check its an intact ring + the RCD is operating OK...

Give customer quote....  They get someone else to do it cheaper!

And another one approx a month ago...   

I had fitted two new sockets, which both came back to the same bit of cable under the floor where I was J/box & Wago connecting them onto extend an existing ring..

Fitted all my new stuff, before getting to the stage of ready to disconnect power and cut into existing ring cable...

And it turns out the Neutral is broken somewhere round the ring.!!

So have to arrange a further visit to fully investigate & rectify...

The key difference is...

First example would have been a new customer never before done any work for...

The second one a previous customer.. who knows my work, (& charges), so trusts me to know I am not trying to rip them off to create unnecessary work...

So I guess it relates to who the customer is, rather than just following the same procedure for everything..

Guinness

Just to add, say I'm adding a spur to a socket circuit I will always check the Zs and end to ends as I start the work, and the same on lighting circuits - check the Zs -

I've walked from jobs when issues are revealed and the customer won't agree to have them fixed as part of the job.