Found this" hanging off" a kitchen grid switch today

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So its a 6.2 KW oven, manufacturers instructions say dedicated supply but some i d i o t at xxxxxx Homes decided to connect it to a grid switch in a kitchen (on the end of a piece of 2.5mm T&E)

The house is 3 years old and probably cost 7 figures 

Oven.jpg

I certainly wouldn't do that.

A new oven is now fitted which plugs in!

some ovens are only 3kw or less and can plug in. I notice that one is a 6.2kw I remember in NZ you could buy the bare grid and insert light switches and cooker switches on the same one if you wanted, as long as you had the right cable in the box.

The house is 3 years old and probably cost 7 figures 

What I don't get is that the developers will put up houses costsing North of 500k etc and it'll come with such things as a dual RCD consumer unit, likely on show somewhere less than ideal, garage spured off the ring (or if you are lucky a 2.5mm supply), two sockets per bedroom, nothing in the way of data cabling, cheapo combi boiler, bare minimum of smoke detection to comply, likely testing thats not been carried out fully. Its like they are trying to produce a premiuum product, but throw the bare mimimum electrical and mechanical spec at it, then play the regular contractors off against themselves to drive down prices which leads to everything being rushed, cheaper brands being used, etc.

Someone is making a lot of money off these houses, and it sure as hell aint the electrical or plumbing contractors.....

some ovens are only 3kw or less and can plug in. I notice that one is a 6.2kw I remember in NZ you could buy the bare grid and insert light switches and cooker switches on the same one if you wanted, as long as you had the right cable in the box.
this oven was definitely on the 32A kitchen socket circuit

What I don't get is that the developers will put up houses costsing North of 500k etc and it'll come with such things as a dual RCD consumer unit, likely on show somewhere less than ideal, garage spured off the ring (or if you are lucky a 2.5mm supply), two sockets per bedroom, nothing in the way of data cabling, cheapo combi boiler, bare minimum of smoke detection to comply, likely testing thats not been carried out fully. Its like they are trying to produce a premiuum product, but throw the bare mimimum electrical and mechanical spec at it, then play the regular contractors off against themselves to drive down prices which leads to everything being rushed, cheaper brands being used, etc.

Someone is making a lot of money off these houses, and it sure as hell aint the electrical or plumbing contractors.....
I thought that new builds had to follow the NHBC guidelines for recommended numbers of sockets per room !

this oven was definitely on the 32A kitchen socket circuit

I thought that new builds had to follow the NHBC guidelines for recommended numbers of sockets per room !
 Correct they do if the builder is NHBC registered. 

Think you’ll also find recommended number of outlets in the OSG ?