Newbie To Solar Power - Need Help!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huntsman84

Reaction score
Hi there, new to the forum.  Hoping to learn as much as I can from some experienced people.

I have a motor home and would like to build a solar system to run a 600w gaming pc (which will also be used to heat the area as it kicks out a lot of heat, especially when mining crypto).

How much solar power would I require to run 600w continuously 24 per day during the uk winter?  And how many batteries would I require?

Any help will be greatly appreciated 

Not sure about the TBH

I'm also on the VW Transporter forum and things like this come up fairly often so a motor home type forum may produce more helpful answers from actual users

Hope this helps

How much solar power would I require to run 600w continuously 24 per day during the uk winter?  And how many batteries would I require?
More than will fit on a motorhome.

Our home 4kWp solar PV will often generate barely 1kWh per day in the depth of winter, and get a grey overcast day in winter and generation will be a big fat 0.

Summer, no problem, but you will need something else in winter.  Wind generator?

that's a big load for a MH. Normally MH run a few lights and a small TV, relying on mains hook ups or driving to charge up the batteries fully, the PV being used to reduce battery drain rather than full power supply. 600w for 24 hours = 14.4 kWh without any energy losses converting from DC to AC. Battery at 48V P=IV so that's 600/ 48 = 12.5A  12.5A for 24 hours = 300Amps. So you would need a minimum of 300A battery to run 600w for 24 hours. (at 12v that would be 1200Amps or 10 large batteries, so go higher voltage)  In reality you will need more than that to allow for system losses and poor weather when the sun doesn't shine much. To get 14 kWh from a set of panels you would need at least 2kW of panels for about 2/3 rds of the year based on good pitch towards the sun etc etc. Now if you forget the crypto mining and severely reduce the load on the batteries you could well enjoy a bit of gaming for a few hours a day, but don''t forget other loads like fridge and lights. Like all things it can be done, but you will need deep pockets!