LOT 20 storage heaters and panel heaters

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
So I have a client who has old storage heaters and they need replacing or changing to panel heaters.

My experience of LOT 20 units means fiddly units that the old or people with learning difficulties struggle with and then I get calls 

So can anyone recommend "easy" to use storage / panel heaters ?

Thanks

I am tagging onto this thread with the same interest.

Last time I fitted a LOT20 heater (customer supplied) I was called back to remove it less than a week later as the customer could not get on with it.  Then I was able to source an old school non LOT20 heater to replace it, but they are hard to find now.

I am looking for one for a job I am doing (summerhouse)  Surely the fact it is LOT20 should not automatically mean it is damned complicated to program to the point the average customer cannot understand it?  So like @Murdoch I am seeking a recommendation of a LOT20 heater that is easy to use.

I am looking for one for a job I am doing (summerhouse)  Surely the fact it is LOT20 should not automatically mean it is damned complicated to program to the point the average customer cannot understand it?  So like @Murdoch I am seeking a recommendation of a LOT20 heater that is easy to use.

To try and help a customer last year I rang one of the manufacturers - their view was their products aren't tricky to set up and install so "tough"

Not helpful

Then there are installations where running a 24/7 supply to the storage heater position is tricky / very intrusive

Who are the i d i o t s who came up with LOT20?

There used to be a regular on the forum who was from Ireland and worked for a heater manufacturer, can’t remember his user name mmm

I remember @rapparee

Last edited by a moderator:
The one my customer rejected, kept turning off saying "window open"  the window was not open. But it was a poorly insulated house and it was trying to heat a bathroom and I suspect some over zealous software was seeing the rate of rise of room temperature too slow so jumped to a silly conclusion that a window must be open.

I seem to remember @rapparee suggesting such silly functions could be turned off, but the customer had already rejected it before I even got a chance to investigate.

Last edited by a moderator:
tenor.gif.593904637a52c065354ef2b26be626a2.gif

fitted quite a few dimplex PLXE panel heaters. digital controls but easy enough to use
We actually make the PLXE in our place. 

The controls are simple  

You can run them in manual.

All you have to do is hit

ENTER

MODE

MANUAL 

ENTER

I could only find these on CPC https://cpc.farnell.com/dimplex/plxc300e/3kw-electronic-controlled-panel/dp/HG01016

Dimplex, LOT20, but it does say "intuitive controls"

There are of course these https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-elec/pel00939/2kw-convector-heater/dp/HG01003?st=electric panerl heater

They can be wall mounted, but nobody is going to want one of them as a fixed convection heater.  
A Nobø 4H heater with a Nobø NCU-1S controller is also basic for elderly customers 
21t3JghE7mL._AC_.jpg.2379dd29925270160a43f856e4574638.jpg

nfc4n-3_6.jpg.bf16a0a4cf0e90c4bba40547583e7da7.jpg

I am tagging onto this thread with the same interest.

Last time I fitted a LOT20 heater (customer supplied) I was called back to remove it less than a week later as the customer could not get on with it.  Then I was able to source an old school non LOT20 heater to replace it, but they are hard to find now.

Summerhouse are a Dimplex budget brand.  We literally just change the tooling on the grill. I've been involved in the tool changes before whenever I had to set the robot, it was quicker for me to give the toolmakers a hand.

Apart from that it is exactly the same as the PLXE

Hi @rapparee

I actually meant I am putting a heater into a summerhouse, not that summerhouse was the brand of heater, and looking for one that has a timer and thermostat and does not need a degree to set it up and use it.

Are the Nobø 4H yo mention a version of the PLXE or something different?

so you recommend this combination then?
Yes. On/Off button and a slider for a thermostat. 

Hi @rapparee

I actually meant I am putting a heater into a summerhouse, not that summerhouse was the brand of heater, and looking for one that has a timer and thermostat and does not need a degree to set it up and use it.

Are the Nobø 4H yo mention a version of the PLXE or something different?
It's something different. However we make them in the same factory. They were actually designed for the Nordic market and the PLXE for the UK however that's only because of brand familiarity in those markets. 

There is different versions of the Nobo. There is a one with no grill and a honeycomb stamp on the top instead 
nte4n-2_1.jpg.8902e636f0fedac0ae5ba1952d73d994.jpg

Yes. On/Off button and a slider for a thermostat. 

It's something different. However we make them in the same factory. They were actually designed for the Nordic market and the PLXE for the UK however that's only because of brand familiarity in those markets. 

There is different versions of the Nobo. There is a one with no grill and a honeycomb stamp on the top instead 

Is replacing the slider easy and does it render the Lot 20 compliancy void? (not that I'm bothered as its ease of use I'm after for vulnerable individuals)

Is replacing the slider easy and does it render the Lot 20 compliancy void? (not that I'm bothered as its ease of use I'm after for vulnerable individuals)
Plugs in and out.

You actually buy them without any controller. 

You then select which controls you want, there are complex wifi, bluetooth controls etc

but obviously you guys want the most basic. 

As regards to lot20, I don't know if it is compatible or not. 

In reality who cares?

Plugs in and out.

You actually buy them without any controller. 

You then select which controls you want, there are complex wifi, bluetooth controls etc

but obviously you guys want the most basic. 

As regards to lot20, I don't know if it is compatible or not. 

In reality who cares?

That's really helpful to know - really appreciate your thoughts on the matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts