Emergency lighting test for HMO

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveS79

Reaction score
Hi all

Have recently completed three EICR's for three flats within an HMO. I am going back there this week to test the landlord board. As part of this I am considering doing an emergency lighting test for the 4 lights on the stairwell. As such a small install I don't see an issue with me doing this. Don't think there has been any other maintenance records maintained for them. From what I know is that emergency lights are meant to have a full discharge test yearly. I will use the cert I have attached, is this adequate? And Is there anything else others think I need to consider with this. Thanks

View attachment Monthly Emergency Lighting Test Doc.pdf

Are you sure its FULL discharge, rather than a minimum time?  Three hours rings a bell, though It's a long time since I did these.

Fully discharging batteries is likely to damage them and shorten their lives.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you sure its FULL discharge, rather than a minimum time?  Fully discharging batteries is likely to damage them and shorten their lives.
Sorry Geoff my terminology way off and thanks for heads up that a full discharge could damage them. To clarify my understanding is that a yearly 3 hour test should be performed which is what I intend to do. I think the certificate I have attached should be acceptable for this. It would then be upto the landlord to implement any other testing procedures whether monthly/yearly but has I see it I have done my part and provided acceptable documention and testing?

I think the 3 hours derives from a British Standard for ELinstallations and is also used by fitting manufacturers as their specification.

As I said its been a long time, but when I did it as part of care-home maintenance the other part of the paperwork was a plan showing the location of each luminaire, but perhaps that's OTT if its a simple stairwell.

Don't forget though that all escape routes have to be lit on the outside too.

Last edited by a moderator:
IIRC the discharge time is now set by the designer from the fire risk assessment, the lighting should remain effective for the duration of the escape time. Good luck in getting that information... 🤣

Before any testing I would be checking the dates on the batteries, if over five years or close I would be recommending replacing them.

Latest posts