Wireless Smoke/Heat Detectors

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gryphon

Reaction score
Legislation in Scotland is changing, meaning from early 2021 all households in Scotland will require to have smoke/heat detectors installed. 10 year tamper proof wireless interlinked detectors are permitted.

Which if any wireless interlinked detectors are peoples preferred detector on here.

Another vote for Aico

I'n really curious to know how the Scottish Parliament are going to implement this and get everybody to agree ............ 

Another vote for Aico

I'n really curious to know how the Scottish Parliament are going to implement this and get everybody to agree ............ 

The government themselves will not be able to manage this but you'll find the insurance companies will, with higher premiums if you do not comply. I would imagine once you come to sell your house you will have to comply.

The government themselves will not be able to manage this but you'll find the insurance companies will, with higher premiums if you do not comply. I would imagine once you come to sell your house you will have to comply.

Where do you fit into this? sparky? wholesaler? 

Where do you fit into this? sparky? wholesaler? 

I'm a spark but have not worked domestic for years, mainly offshore or industrial. My son's a spark and works for himself, it's all Aico he installs. I'm looking to get My house and da house up to spec over next couple of months.

My brother keeps coming up with the argument of cheaper detectors, HiSpec being the one he keeps quoting. I am trying to gauge  what the general consensus is with guys that install these things regularly.

Personally i'll be going with Aico as will dad.

Personally i'll be going with Aico as will dad.

Good decision - they may not be the cheapest BUT their product consistence is good and their technical support is first class.

FYI I've fitted a few systems so the landing alarm is connected to the mains and the one downstairs is battery / RF

Last edited by a moderator:
after 15 months you have to rip them from the ceiling and beat them to death with a shovel before burying them to stop the FRICKING beep
 That's the one! I made the mistake of using the wireless interconnect version on a job a few years ago. of the 9 I've replaced 4,  always the ones at the top of the stairwells -  think they are scared of heights  :^O

That's the one! I made the mistake of using the wireless interconnect version on a job a few years ago. of the 9 I've replaced 4,  always the ones at the top of the stairwells -  think they are scared of heights  :^O
It's not only the wireless ones

they are/were  Trumptons weapon of choice around here

Some good answers and guidance on my original question, thanks.

On the back of that has does anybody use a company called Edward Brothers, they've come up with the best price so far and seem to have a decent rating on Trust Pilot.

Some good answers and guidance on my original question, thanks.

On the back of that has does anybody use a company called Edward Brothers, they've come up with the best price so far and seem to have a decent rating on Trust Pilot.

if that’s the same as Edwardes in penge and Dartford then they have a good reputation, I have recently been in contact with them my self about a fluke multimeter and they are competitively priced. 

I like Aico and use it wherever there's a wired install that needs the units replacing. I've also used the RF cards sometimes for a tricky add on.

But, in a house with nothing already installed, I always recommend Nest. The Protect is a much better product and works out cheaper than wireless Aico. Their only downside is you can't switch the smoke detection off (leaving Heat & CO on) to fit in a kitchen! My customers love the voice, app control, lights and the design :)

I had also been looking at wireless FireAngel Pro (the new W2 stuff that interlinks). From comments above, i've got my doubts now. Or is it better than the fireangel standard stuff?

I like Aico and use it wherever there's a wired install that needs the units replacing. I've also used the RF cards sometimes for a tricky add on.

But, in a house with nothing already installed, I always recommend Nest. The Protect is a much better product and works out cheaper than wireless Aico. Their only downside is you can't switch the smoke detection off (leaving Heat & CO on) to fit in a kitchen! My customers love the voice, app control, lights and the design :)

I had also been looking at wireless FireAngel Pro (the new W2 stuff that interlinks). From comments above, i've got my doubts now. Or is it better than the fireangel standard stuff?

Are you sure about that?  Those Nest alarms cost an arm & leg don't they???

and an AICO RF base is not that expensive...

We have a Nest protect Smoke/CO alarm that was a complimentary gift when when change our house insurance several years ago..

It has the phone app thing...  and is probably the most useless gimmick phone App ever written..

At the end of the day its a Smoke or CO alarm..

All I need it to do is make a loud noise if it detects something burning...  or Carbon Monoxide levels are high..

There is no need for digitised ladies voice saying "CO detected open windows".. etc.. etc..

I am certainly not going to be interested in looking at a phone App in a real emergency..

In the important areas of our house we have four hard-wired Aico alarms..

I trust these far more than the Nest....

And we also have a cheapo £20 battery CO alarm placed near the boiler in the kitchen..

Which works and detects fumes from the car if I leave it running with the back-door from the garage to the kitchen open!! 

The Nest alarm also detects these fumes..

but a few simple high pitched bleeps do an equally as good job as a synthesised speech message..

I did google a few suppliers for the Nest detectors after we were given our freebee, to see how they compared..

But the AICO units beat them hands down..

I'd be interested to know where you can buy the Nest detectors cheaper than AICO?

:C   

So you cant comply with BS5839-6 with Nest then. Not that many electricians bother issuing the right paperwork for fire alarm installs.