Generic power lead

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crumb123

Reaction score
Hi,

Hopefully a simple question with a simple answer... 

I have one of the those standard figure of 8 power leads with a 5 amp fuse that came with a speaker system and it is a bit too short (about 2m). 

Am I right in thinking that all those cables are identical and I can just buy a longer cable (say 3m) and pop out the 3amp fuse that it will probably come with and replace it with the 5amp?

A bit cautious about frying the speakers!!! 

No problem if you can find one. I think I've only ever seen them 2 metres long. A 3 amp fuse would most likely be ok too unless it's a really massive speaker system.

Hi,

Hopefully a simple question with a simple answer... 

I have one of the those standard figure of 8 power leads with a 5 amp fuse that came with a speaker system and it is a bit too short (about 2m). 

Am I right in thinking that all those cables are identical and I can just buy a longer cable (say 3m) and pop out the 3amp fuse that it will probably come with and replace it with the 5amp?

A bit cautious about frying the speakers!!! 
The fuse is to protect the cable not the speakers. The speaker system will have its own internal protection system, because in most of the rest of Europe fused plugs are not used.i