Negative cable via light switch.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

styoda

Reaction score
Hi,

Not sure if this is the correct forum for this topic or not.

I'm currently installing some LED strips in my shed, which I have no problem with, but have a question with regards to the light switch cabling.

This is my proposed wiring of the solar panel, battery, charger and LED lights with switch.

The question I have is, will it be OK for the negative cable to go through the light switch or does this need to be the positive cable, or this completely incorrect ?

5Wz1NRWe_o.jpg.01c901c79d63956857bd1316655c40e6.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Scott

There's not much point in the separate fuse box for the light strips.  Just connect them together; The circuit is fused in the "main" box, so protecting the wiring.

With a 12volt battery system it doesn't much matter which line you switch but it is more conventional to switch the positive.

Thanks

Out of interest what would happen if the negative did go through the switch instead of the positive ?

not much. its mainly on systems where the neutral is tied to earth, if you switch that, then you potentially have something still live enough to kill you even though its 'switched off'

Thanks

Out of interest what would happen if the negative did go through the switch instead of the positive ?
not a lot until you get a shorted cable and can't isolate the supply, not that it makes much difference at 12V. But imagine you are up a ladder investigating a faulty light and get a bellt like a cattle fence that knocks you off said ladder to fall in a snotty heap on the floor...  We switch lives / +ves for a reason - it hurts less  :Chairfall