My 1st SPD installation

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Currently doing a rewire on a TT system so thought I should include a SPD

So I was wondering how it is documented on the EIC? Its all contained within the CU ................

Excuse my ignorance but I'd like some input

Thanks😁😁😁

Wouldn't you just add it the circuit details as it will be protected by a circuit breaker with 16a type b anyway so it would. Have gone there wouldn't it I may be wrong probably am 

Well every day is a school day, in my defence I haven’t had a great deal to do with them as yet, and when I have I just follow Mfr’s instruction and not one has asked for an Mcb protection. 

now to do some research! 

what is the reasoning behind the MCB requirement? 

Wouldn't you just add it the circuit details as it will be protected by a circuit breaker with 16a type b anyway so it would. Have gone there wouldn't it I may be wrong probably am 

Isn't there a chance that a 16A B type could operate before the SPD had a chance to work?

I know that Contactum have a 63A C type in their SPD pack

A quick google research gives the regs as stating that ALL SPD’s should have over current protection. It is either built in to device or fitted externally. 

534.4.5.1 for those who want a reference. 

Put a line or 3 for the protective device if required by the SPD OEM, and indicate that it is for the SPD

Put a line or 3(4) for the spd if it is fitted to the bus bar in the location it is fitted.

Complete any relevant test results alongside the device ID’s as circuits.

Well every day is a school day, in my defence I haven’t had a great deal to do with them as yet,
Same here  ,   and the last time I enquired  ,  my wholesaler didn't stock them as no one asks for them .    

As a side issue :    I'm sure I posted about them & the those anti arcing things  becoming  mandatory ....dunno where I read that now .  Obviously the manufacturers are  not selling enough ...poor souls .  

All SPDs require over-current protection.

Read the manufacturers information as some count the DNOs fuse as sufficient if it is <=100 amps for example.

If the SPD is part of the enclosure then you may not even need to list it on the circuit details page, just ensure the SPD box is ticked on the schedule of inspections. If you install a protective device before it then list it as a separate circuit whether it is part of the enclosure or not.

Thanks for the input - most helpful

Glad to know I'm not the only one in the dark - and talking to my main wholesaler - it seems very few people actually buy SPD's

@Murdoch I missed that the install is TT.

If you do fit an SPD, make sure it is TT “compatble” and it may need to be a Type I/II rather than a straight type II.

Best to check with your chosen SPD OEM for the correct device.

@Murdoch I missed that the install is TT.

If you do fit an SPD, make sure it is TT “compatble” and it may need to be a Type I/II rather than a straight type II.

Best to check with your chosen SPD OEM for the correct device.
not sure I agree with you about the TT bit ...... what is your reference for this complication?

@Murdochdisagree as much as you like, I don’t care, it’s your install.

Not all SPD’s are suitable for TT, and not all are suitable for TN.
Check with the device OEM.

My references are the OEM data, the EN standards and the research that we did as e5 into this.

We spent a lot of time talking to the OEM’s including Kirsty @ Surge Protection Devices, and Robin @ Dehn.

Check the e5 and sparky ninja podcasts on SPD’s if you don’t believe me.

And if you don’t believe the podcasts, ask the OEM’s or get hold of the standard it should only cost you a few £k for the relevant ones.

@Murdochdisagree as much as you like, I don’t care, it’s your install.

Not all SPD’s are suitable for TT, and not all are suitable for TN.
Check with the device OEM.

My references are the OEM data, the EN standards and the research that we did as e5 into this.

We spent a lot of time talking to the OEM’s including Kirsty @ Surge Protection Devices, and Robin @ Dehn.

Check the e5 and sparky ninja podcasts on SPD’s if you don’t believe me.

And if you don’t believe the podcasts, ask the OEM’s or get hold of the standard it should only cost you a few £k for the relevant ones.
its not that I don’t believe you it’s just that this farce is precisely why JPEL needs doing away with and standardisation introduced, with the regs and technical bulletins edited by the plain English society

i wonder how many sparks have any grasp of this unnecessary complexity .....

btw I’ve checked my kit and it’s fine for a TT install

As a side issue :    I'm sure I posted about them & the those anti arcing things  becoming  mandatory ....dunno where I read that now .  Obviously the manufacturers are  not selling enough ...poor souls .  
well, based on the lack of success of SPDs surely nobody on JPEL could even think that adding AFDDs would be tolerated by the industry .... especially as the jury is out as to whether they actually work 

nonsense, nonsense, nonsense.

mortgage free time and early retirement can’t come soon enough.