Aberfan...

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember it well ,     a terrible disaster  and a disgrace  that no one could see it coming .      Or ignored it .   The attempted whitewash afterwards is unspeakably disgraceful  .      

I worked in the Rhondda for a while and just even seeing the road sign  gave you a chill  of deepest regret & sorrow.   

Last edited by a moderator:
What can i say,, Compare the dignity of the people in the video with the way our new "ethnic" friends conduct themselves. Even though i only live maybe 20 miles from there, i have never been there, but i will go.. My mum was a school teacher at the time.. She was an NUT rep, and she had a book about it written by the NUT. I still have it here somewhere. They tell stories about how a gentleman drove all night from lancashire or somewhere and dropped off some crates of milk and drove off without even giving his name. People from all over the world helped, but the coal board and the government stabbed them in the back. Lies and collusion as is usual for governments. How on earth the government got away with robbing the relief fund i will never know. cannot understand how the NUM never made then pay it back by force..

If you went to the Rhondda now you would be shocked.. Thatcher destroyed them communities..

When i was younger and stupider, i used to drive a lorry. Obe day i was delivering steel for pit props to Penallta colliery. Ther were busy at the time as they were just about to come up from underground. They told me to wait in this shed. Next thing the cage comes up and within minutes the shed is full of miners, and all the talk is of the miners strike.. Me being a dopey idiot announce; "Well, mrs thatcher is right, if you cannot sell the stuff, what is the point in digging it up".... Instant COMPLETE silence. i mean TOTAL silence. I thought i had seconds to live!!

All that happened is one miner in his baritone welsh voice says; "son, all we are saying is that it would be cheaper for us to carry on doing this than all be on the dole" Wise words indeed....

Not long after, i was at newport docks, It was horrifying to see the imported coal from Poland and australia, When i say vast amounts, i cannot convey the size of the heaps of the stuff.. Thatcher was a lying ****, the demand for coal was huge, and soon the foreigh stuff was hugesly expensive compared to our welsh coal. The whole thing was a lie, it was all just an exercise in bull****ting the public. libelling the coal industry to destroy the power of the miners. All this stuff about it was too expensive or that the pits were exhausted was lies.. Look at the mine the workers bought for themselves and ran for years despite the government doing all they could to stop them.. Tower colliery it was, run by the heroic miners themselves..

john...

If you went to the Rhondda now you would be shocked.. Thatcher destroyed them communities..

I do think that even though the country was in a bit of a **** state at the time and probably needed a determined leader in order to change anything, that she, out of most leaders in the recent past ended up implimenting a high number of short term fixes, that caused worse issues, the majority of which we are still doing with today, the replacement of industry with a servcies ecconomy, the cancellation of school milk, legal reforms that lead to the compensation culture, council house sell off, etc. Most leaders have such things, but I think there were a lot from MT.

Its not just the tories, the labour goverment of the late 90s decision that 50% of school leavers should go to university, in order to make the unployment figures look better has done damage to various industries, and it is still happening now, I think I heard a couple of years ago that the green godess fire trucks have been sold off, and just look at this Coronavirus situation, the damage thats been done to companies, treatment for other illnesses, bailouts that will lead to tax hikes in the next few years, the virus would have done far less damage if we had just let it sweep through!

Come the next election we will vote for the other side though, who will be highly critical of the side who are in currently, while also implimenting their own poorly thought out policies, which then later down the line will be critised later on.

I do sometimes wonder if democracy is over rated, at least if you just have the one set of government, then they can't blame anyone else for the screw-ups, true you cant vote them out but that starts to look mute when none of them are actually any better than each other!

Yes, i agree aprt from the corona virus bit. I work in an NHS hospital. Out of about ten people that i work with everyday, one is in hospital [not ours!] and another two currently have it, and yet another waiting for results and all withing the course of about a week or so. I am truly frightened as to what the next two or three weeks will bring.. We are teetering on the edge...

john..