No spare ways in consumer unit

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomsw18

Reaction score
I moved in to a new build property last year. In the living area there are 2 radiators on one wall, one on the adjacent and then none at the other end and large patio doors so this leaves it very cold in winter. 

I'm looking at electric fireplaces as an alternative to a new radiator. 

There are no spare ways in the consumer unit. It's a 16 way type so they don't do a wider one to replace with. 

Wouldn't want to spur a heavy load off the downstairs ring although that would be easiest. It's a 2KW unit so wouldn't overload the ring as there isn't much other load connected to it.

Just wondered what people's approach to this is and any ideas?

There will be loads of options available to you..

Are all of the ways in the current consumer unit occupied?

Could you add a small CU next to the existing one for your new circuit?

Could you replace the current CU with a larger one made by a different manufacturer?

A picture of the existing CU might help.  Very short sighted to fit one with no spare capacity in a new build, but if it was a mass market developer I am not surprised at the levels of penny pinching they will do.

It's also worrying in a new build that 3 radiators in one room cannot keep it warm.  One of the big builders has been on tv before for "forgetting" to put most if the insulation in to a new build.

If the cu is full, maybe get a spark to see if any can be doubled up. Some people put smoke alarms on their own circuit which is daft 

Also if it's a dual RCD board, it may be able to be converted to RCBOs freeing up space

Last edited by a moderator:
If the cu is full, maybe get a spark to see if any can be doubled up. Some people put smoke alarms on their own circuit which is daft 

Also if it's a dual RCD board, it may be able to be converted to RCBOs freeing up space

Didn't think of that - it is a dual RCD so that's a good shout. Thanks

When stuck for a spare way  ,  upstairs rings  often  have low current  demand .   

Our trade has wide parameters ..... you can find a house with a  3 way Wylex  ....Lights  / plugs  /  cooker .        To a board change we did in Lichfield  this year ..... it had almost every room on  it's own lighting  circuit .   18 way board IIRC .   

up lights 

down lights

burglar alarm

cctv and network 

pc sockets

up ring

kitchen ring

cooker 

down ring

garage sockets

store room work shop sockets 

pond 

shed 

bathroom towel radiator

heating

outdoor sockets 

bathroom kitchen lights 

outdoor store room garage lights 

shower

19 ways with 2 for main switch 21 ways total 

up lights 

down lights

burglar alarm

cctv and network 

pc sockets

up ring

kitchen ring

cooker 

down ring

garage sockets

store room work shop sockets 

pond 

shed 

bathroom towel radiator

heating

outdoor sockets 

bathroom kitchen lights 

outdoor store room garage lights 

shower

19 ways with 2 for main switch 21 ways total 

Mine is:

1st/2nd lights

Oven

Bin Store

GF Sockets

Alarm

Stairlift

Kitchen Sockets

RCD

Smoke Alarms

Hallway Lights & Doorbell

Water Heater

Fan

2nd floor sockets

boiler

1st floor sockets

Hob

RCD

PV Panels

Isolator

The ground floor sockets have very little load as the kitchen has its own ring.

But.. I just noticed that the ground floor is on a 16A breaker. Haven't confirmed it to be a ring yet or what size wiring.

I could double up the alarm and smokes or  spur off the water heater as that is only a backup in case the boiler goes.
Also getting a route from the CU to the location doesn't look easy.

it

^^

alarm and smoke alarms could be on a lighting circuit mcb for starters

what is a Fan ?
its a blade thing in a motorised housing either on a wall or mounted in a ceiling dependant on the type of install required for the location which creates a vetilation system to expell either waste moisture or fumes from the environment   :slap

:D

😛

:coat  

Last edited by a moderator: