Evie

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evie

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first post. I have Economy 7 storage heating with dual immersion heater. An electrician came out to fix the lower tank as it was not heating up overnight. I think it was just a new fuse needed.

The metered time clocks are kept downstairs in a cupboard in the block of flats.He said he would change the times.I told him that the times for my area set by my supplier was 12midnight until 7.30am.This was showing correctly on the clock before he changed it. He said it varies when off peak comes on. He has now set it to coming on at 11pm and off at 8am. I am not sure why he needed to change it. With the clocks going back now I have noticed my hot water is heating up at 10pm. Does this mean I am charged normal rate during this time.? The flats are all electric built in the 80s and the times I believe are preset .Would appreciate advice on whether I am paying for normal usage or not or does it make no difference.

Can you take a picture of what clock he changed?

In old installations, the suppliers metering equipment had a mechanical clock that you could adjust if you were naughty and cut the seals.  In more modern instalations the suppliers metering is tied to a radio controlled time switch.

Sometimes you have your own local timer and that needs to be set to coincide with the suppliers timer.  If he has set your timer so it comes on now for 9 hours, it  would mean 3 of the hours that your storage heaters are on, will be charged at the peak rate.

Either way what he has done may not be a very wise thing.

Thanks Pro Dave. I dont have enough posts yet to download an image.The clock is in a white casing says Sangamo Controls Scottish Power, with red  times on right hand side and on the other half white.  The red side is at 23.00 to come on and  when I checked this morning the other time for off is showing 4am.,still on the red side not 8am.

Thanks Pro Dave. I dont have enough posts yet to download an image.The clock is in a white casing says Sangamo Controls Scottish Power, with red  times on right hand side and on the other half white.  The red side is at 23.00 to come on and  when I checked this morning the other time for off is showing 4am.,still on the red side not 8am.
Sorry its off at 8am.as i said previously not 4am. I took a torch as its difficult to see the meter.

If it's the time clock that belongs to Scottish Power he really should not have touched it.   It means you will now get 11 hours of cheap rate.  don't ever own up to knowing anything about it having been changed.

Yes the forum software is a nuisance not allowing new members to post pictures, it is an anti spam measure I believe.  Can you upload them to an image hosting service?

Oh well not complaining.! Cant think why he changed it when my energy supplier gave me the correct times. I presumed they would charge me normal rate for electricity used before  midnight.I did mention to him one of my storage heaters was cooling quickly in the evening thats all.Thanks very much for you advice Pro Dave.

Last edited by a moderator:
.I did mention to him one of my storage heaters was cooling quickly in the evening thats all.
It may have the OUTPUT  set on full   .  Its often  a mechanical  lever & flap  that works through a mechanical stat device.      The knob is possibly numbered  1  to 6   and is set at 6 .....turn it down as it's allowing the heat out too fast .  

Evans Electic, Its a Creda digital TSRE. in the hall  I seem to have got the hang of  adjusting the settings now as it was all new to me when I recently moved in. The  heater had been off all summer and now it has been  reset to the times/temp. I want. It gives out a gentle heat in the evening and pretty cool by about 9pm and I can hear the fan whirring.  I usually just advance it for the next day then as its still reasononably warm in the hall.Just wondering when the weather gets much colder i will prob.need to set it on for in most of the day. 

It gives out a gentle heat in the evening and pretty cool by about 9pm and I can hear the fan whirring.  I u
Ah   it may be the fan that is pushing all the stored heat out then .     Use the fan for  quick warm up only  I'd think .    

Keep in mind ....   the heater only consumes power for 7 hours  ...00.00    to 07.00  hrs       ( The fan is on the  normal  24hr  tariff  )    The refractory  blocks in the heater store the  heat gained during the night time recharging  .      

If you are out at work all day , say ,   you don't need the fan running ...save it until the evening when you are actually in .   

I cant seem to find out where to control the fan.Is it manual on the heater somewhere.?

It looks like there is a digital timer thing on the top , it may be there  ,  I 'm not familiar with them TBH .      Are there  two supply flexes  from two switches on the wall?   

Yes there are 2 flexs coming from the wall which advises keeping both swiches on.I have avidly read the manual over the past month and feel confident in using it.The only  mention of the fan is that the fan will not operate if the room temp. is above what is shown on the screen.

It sounds like the fan is fully automatic then  ,      with  older heaters you would switch it on when required . 

Perhaps the heater is undersized for the room .                The usual method with older heaters was to "cook"  during the night ,   storage bricks very hot early morning .  The mechanical flap would be closed  while resident was either out or more active   during the day .  

Heater would be gently warming the room .

Late evening flap would be turned open to release the last of the stored heat  ...then recharging during the night again .

Can you see the size of the heater ...in KW  ?     And the size of the room ?

Have you programmed it for a low temperature during the day?  That would conserve its stored heat for the evening. 

If you have, and its still inadequate, there are some measures described in the manual to increase its capacity, though it looks like you may have to get the installer to do some of them.  

Its a 150 and in the hall of a 1 bed flat.I have it set on out all day, which Im not but the weather isnt too cold and Im on first floor with lots of sun coming in.Its set on for an hour in the morning,off, and coming on from 4 to 10pm. I often need to turn the temp down or advance it to the morning as It gets a bit too warm for me.Cant really fault the heaters they  are good.Once the colder weather comes I can set it for coming off and on 4 times a day if needed.It will be an automatic fan.Thanks for the advice.

This heater is the Creda version of the Dimplex Quantum... the 150 is the largest that they do and it shouldn't be running out of heat by 9pm... and even if it did it has a (peak rate) boost heater element that will maintain the temperature.

It really sounds like your heater is either not set up correctly or that it's faulty

Ooops meant 50 in the hall .150 in the living room.I dont need to use the boost which is what the othe flex /switch controls. It can be used manually if needed but wont come on automatically .If it did the electric bill would shoot up. I have turned the temp down to 18c and the fan has gone off. That is what it says on the screen too so it must be maintaining the temp.Its never stone cold . Will keep an eye on it