Qualifications

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcx964

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm looking into getting qualified to work in houses and self certify my work. I did the 2330 level 2 in 2011 then went on to do an apprenticeship in performing engineering operations. I have been working as an electrical engineer for the last 8 years but have always wanted to have my own business. I'm totally confused about what relevent qualifications I need to comply with the law. Hoping someone here can help clear things up for me ☺️

It really depends on what knowledge/experience you have had with electrical installations, and your understanding of the theory side of electrical works. if you can give a brief of what you have done as an electrical engineer? 

In Wales. I've done a bit of everything in my role over the last 8 years from installing lighting and power circuits to PLC programming, fault finding on single and 3 phase systems, installing and commissioning inverter drives and working on huge DC motors and drives. I have a solid knowledge of how electrical systems work. Probably a lot more than some of these 'become an electrician in 6 weeks guys' 🤣

So in that case you need to look up the mature candidate nvq3, do this with your AM2 and top up with the 2391 and 18th edition then you’ll be suitably qualified to do all things electrical and properly not 5ww style!! 

You also need to familiarize yourself with Building Regs Part P - 2010 as this applies in Wales - the later version applies to England - NI and Scotland don't have Part P to worry about

You'll then need to be a member of a CPS so you can self certify and comply with Part P. The CPS's have minimum requirements to apply for scheme membership

Hope this helps

Thanks guys this is a great help, it's so confusing with all the different qualifications and didn't want to be covering courses I don't need or have already done as part of my apprenticeship