Electric heaters

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris7

Reaction score
Hi guys

I've been asked to fit two 2kw heaters and three double sockets to a staff room and just wondering what would be best. 

Should I have a 32amp ring with two spurs for heaters or should I split the heaters and sockets onto there own circuits.

my main concern is if the heaters draw 9amps each will the remaining supply be enough for a basic kitchen, kettle,microwave , toaster odd bits and bobs, chargers etc. Thought about 4mm ring but got **** loads of 2.5

Thanks guys

Hi guys

I've been asked to fit two 2kw heaters and three double sockets to a staff room and just wondering what would be best. 

Should I have a 32amp ring with two spurs for heaters or should I split the heaters and sockets onto there own circuits.

my main concern is if the heaters draw 9amps each will the remaining supply be enough for a basic kitchen, kettle,microwave , toaster odd bits and bobs, chargers etc. Thought about 4mm ring but got **** loads of 2.5

Thanks guys

4mm or 2.5mm ring is still 32a, only difference is you may need a larger CSA to for insulation etc... if your design calcs says you need 4mm then you need 4mm, the fact you have loads of 2.5 is irrelevant

really, 20a radial for the heaters & 20a radial for the sockets would most likely be fine

Cheers for the quick reply. As its my first time installing heaters I looked around and was worried that they had a high start up draw, would 2 never trip the 20amp mcb?

two 20 amp radial was initially my thought but I have habit of second guessing myself,  so when I do anything new i probably look to much into it (Google 😬) n seen some problems where they had tripped mcb when they first came on