EICR

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mc12

Reaction score
Hi, I been trying to find out what the deadline for having a EICR done is. I read it in the internet, I can’t make no sense off It. . I’ve called several contractors and keep getting different answers. No one seems to really know.I’m not sure if it is by July 2020 or April 2021. My tenants moved in on November 2019, with a 12 months contract. I won’t be renewing the tenancy next month, as I want it to run monthly. Any advice would be appreciated.

1st July 2020 is for all new agreements

You fall under renewals so:

If you are using a letting agency then ask them.

If you initial 1 year period is expiring and you are moving to a 1 month rolling agreement then I would say that the EICR needs to be done at that point.

What ever you decide you must have a satisfactory EICR in place before the end of March 2022

Yes it's a bit murky but killing your tenants wouldn't be a good idea

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I was trying to wait until the end off March, but the agent is adamant it need it needs doing now, but the rules seem to indicate there’s two dates, by the wording.. I wish they could just say the date for everyone Instead of over complicating everything . I called EICEIC just now and they say I’ve got until March 2021. I just want to make sure I’m legal.

Well I was trying to wait until the end off March, but the agent is adamant it need it needs doing now, but the rules seem to indicate there’s two dates, by the wording.. I wish they could just say the date for everyone Instead of over complicating everything . I called EICEIC just now and they say I’ve got until March 2021. I just want to make sure I’m legal.

The legislation is clear

All new agreements from the 1st July 2020

All other agreements must have them in place by the 31st March 2021

So your letting agency is wrong BUT I do recommend people get them done as a Tenent rented renews so I'm on the side of your agency.

Your 12 month agreement is up, so a new agreement is being signed, so now is the time

.Im not renewing the agreement. I just Didn’t  get it , and the six electricians  I called for a price didn’t have a clue either. 

Thanks for your help though.

So you existing agreement runs out and your tenants aren't agreeing to a new one

Doesn't sound good for them or you.

Why not get it done? Unless you are selling you aren't going to save any money

Well I want the option if I decide to sell next year, as I was possibly thinking of doing that. Plus the agent wanted £280 for a signature to renew it. They was very keen for me to renew it.lol

All this faffing around   ....as usual for this country ,  it all becomes sooooooo complicated  .   Why didn't they just come in with ..." After this date  ALL rented property MUST have an EICR  in place ."   . 

I wonder if the gas reg  is as complicated .      

Mc12    do you think the electrics may be unsafe and in need of upgrading ....hence the prevarication . ?

I thought a key part of an EICR was that you remove a certain percentage of accessories to inspect the wiring, here you are looking for things like loose connections, missing earth sleeve etc.  Depending what you find on the first few that you remove determines just how many you choose to inspect and that is a judgement call.

I wonder how many loose connections he found in this case? and did he fix them?

All this faffing around   ....as usual for this country ,  it all becomes sooooooo complicated  .   Why didn't they just come in with ..." After this date  ALL rented property MUST have an EICR  in place ."   . 

I wonder if the gas reg  is as complicated .      

Mc12    do you think the electrics may be unsafe and in need of upgrading ....hence the prevarication . ?

The only think I think might be wrong is the consumer unit as it’s has a plastic casing and is mounted onto a wooden board in the kitchen. I think it has to be screwed directly to the wall. Only trouble is it’s not very easy to get too. Cabinets will have to come out. The other thing is the wiring to the shower, it’s 6mm cable, and I’m not sure if the new replacement power shower is 9 or 13kws. If it’s 9 it’s fine. It would be difficult to replace the cable cos off location. 

The only think I think might be wrong is the consumer unit as it’s has a plastic casing and is mounted onto a wooden board in the kitchen. I think it has to be screwed directly to the wall. Only trouble is it’s not very easy to get too. Cabinets will have to come out. The other thing is the wiring to the shower, it’s 6mm cable, and I’m not sure if the new replacement power shower is 9 or 13kws. If it’s 9 it’s fine. It would be difficult to replace the cable cos off location. 
dont take this the wrong way but unless you are a competent spark, you are only guesssing

a plastic fuseboard isn’t a C2

Yes your right I’m not, but I fitted the first lot off wiring and the power shower about 15 years ago, so I know cable size equals 9kw any higher and the cable size has to be increased.not a100%sure about the the things, but I’ve done my research.

Yes your right I’m not, but I fitted the first lot off wiring and the power shower about 15 years ago, so I know cable size equals 9kw any higher and the cable size has to be increased.not a100%sure about the the things, but I’ve done my research.

Not necessarily.... the cable might be able to take a certain load under ideal conditions, but this can easily change due to the installation methods (i.e. how it's run) and how long the cable is.....

also from the sounds of it, it was never tested when when it was installed ? if so,,, how do you know that it's ok? .... it's also at least 5 years past the time that it should have retested so IMHO it needs to be tested now

Yes you’re right it needs testing. As far as replacing the cable, it’s runs behind all the cabinets. The kitchen floor is boarded and Lino,and then cable runs across the hall Which has carpet, and then it runs up a false wall in the hall, and then it enters the shower in the bathroom. Fancy doing it for me? 🙂

My original post was when is the dead line to have it done 🙂. We seem to be getting off track.

My original post was when is the dead line to have it done 🙂. We seem to be getting off track.

If you are looking for good practice, sensible attitude toward electrical dangers and taking a responsible attitude toward any tenants livings at any property you own...

Then...  As you say "you have done your research"...

and you have done significant wiring alterations 15 years ago..

When the applicable industry standard guidance, BS7671 wiring regulations, would have been 16th edition..

Which stated that all alterations should be inspected, tested and certified..

And you will be well aware that follow up periodic inspection and testing should be done every 5 years or change of occupancy for a rented dwelling..  (10 years for private dwellings)..

So its not rocket science for you to know when you last had a Satisfactory periodic inspection report for the property...

and when the "next inspection date" was written on that report...

And on the sticker/label attached on or near to the fuse box as per BS7671...

{ if for some obscure reason you have chosen to ignore industry good practice and don't actually have any current satisfactory periodic inspection report, (or EICR)..

Then you need it done A.S.A.P. }

The bottom line is that electricity can kill a healthy adult in less than half a second...

Plus cause serious fire damage to a property..

So its basically only the Landlords who ride around on horses with their cowboy boots firmly in the stirrups...

Who choose to neglect industry good practice...

Guinness  

Last edited by a moderator: