EV Homecharger question

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stavieg70

Reaction score
Hi all and thanks in advance for all the help. I am not an electrician or looking to do it myself or know enough about it so forgive my ignorance. 

So long story short BP Chargemaster is supposed to install a home charger for me. Their technician came and left and asked me to do 2 things. 

Either install a double isolation pole switch next to the distribution main unit or run a 6mm cable from a 32 breaker on my fuse board next to the distribution unit. Did the second. 

He also said I need to call my DNO to lower my earthing because he found the Ze 0.44 (TCNS system) and they need it at 0.35.

The electrician who came the next day found it at 0.24

My DNO does not offer appointments. They say they deal with emergencies which I do not classify as one and if someone is free and around it will be a last minute call. So it could be from 2 days to infinity. (its been 3 weeks so far)

So here are my 2 questions

1) Can the Ze change depending on wires, and other conditions from day to day or did someone get it wrong. 

2) I know Chargemaster install earthing rods but the guy did not say anything or looked around to see if it will be affected by anything else (read about it on other forums that it might cause more problems than solutions). 

Am I thinking of earthing completely wrong or they are just lazy?

Again thank you for the understanding and your help

WOW

Sounds like they sent one of their cleaners instead of a technician (no offence to any cleaners meant)

surely they'd do the complete job and not expect you to have to do anything .... I never leave any fault reporting to a customer...

If its a TNCS system  they need to install a rod anyway don't they  so why worry about the Ze  ?     Wonder why don't they just install the chargers with the  rod free PME gizmo fitted  ?

This Chargemaster firm should be doing all that ,  not dropping it onto you .