The young and their ideas?? Is it the way forward?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Norway has apparently banked most of the oil money rather than spend it, so they can invest in other tech when the oil runs out.  KId of think their country is probably ideal for hydro projects / wave / tidal.

As for young people, I alwys think it is good to see youngsters take an interest in politics, and no doubt are keen to go green - the future of the planet they will be living in long after we are dead is very much something they should be concerned about.

I hope things have changed  for the better ...years ago....without a second thought ...they sent  their young to be slaughtered in the First World war trenches .      If they'd  spoken of conservation  they would have been laughed at ....today we listen  .    

Strange how one man springs to mind when this subject is raised.   Any offers ?  

We,  the young ... argued in the 60s  that we have an over population problem  and also species were going extinct .     We didn't want countries piling up  Atomic bombs  .  Many of us imagined a nuclear holocaust  wiping us all out . 

I'm not sure what kind of world we are passing on to our young . 

I'm not sure what kind of world we are passing on to our young . 

There's agood reason why I argue with people on here, and that is simly becuase I want the world to improve - seem to be losing the battle, but at least I will have tried 😀

Nothing will really change until it becomes a disaster, or so clear a disaster is looming that even the money men can't ignore it as they might find their holiday home beach house will get washed away...

We seem to be at the point where only arseholes like Trump ignore the science and most people accept life must change, but it's still progressing too slowly. I'm just glad to see young people still fighting for change, as all young people should do. 

There's a good reason why I argue with people on here, and that is simply because I want the world to improve - seem to be losing the battle, but at least I will have tried 😀

If the young really want change they need to go back to the "good old days" where we were happy with the basics and changing perfectly good items for the latest "model" is something the young need to shun

So can you imagine a day when a teenager has a 4 year old phone and doesn't want a new one? has one pair of trainers they are happy to wear all the time till they wear out? ignores the latest clothing fashions?

We sparks need to push back on the meddling with the regs, "throw" away products like integrated lights, manufacturers of LED flood lights really need to have replaceable parts too .................... I'll happily argue with anyone on these points

If the young really want change they need to go back to the "good old days" where we were happy with the basics and changing perfectly good items for the latest "model" is something the young need to shun

So can you imagine a day when a teenager has a 4 year old phone and doesn't want a new one? has one pair of trainers they are happy to wear all the time till they wear out? ignores the latest clothing fashions?

We sparks need to push back on the meddling with the regs, "throw" away products like integrated lights, manufacturers of LED flood lights really need to have replaceable parts too .................... I'll happily argue with anyone on these points

Exactly right, everything is disposable these days, even the car is becoming ever closer to becoming a fully disposable item, frightening. Fast and cheap everything, all at huge costs to the planet.

This throw away world we live in combined with the population explosion is a worrying recipe for disaster and the experts have been warning us for years and years.

It's nice to see repair cafes appearing and becoming more common place but these small token efforts alone simply aren't enough. As you say there also needs to be a massive push from manufacturers to make their products A- last longer and B- more repairable.

"It's just one burger, or straw, or piece of plastic, or toy, or phone, or piece of clothing, or car" said 7.8 billion people.

Last edited by a moderator:
Governments could easily legislate against gas guzzling cars, but don’t .

They could make buses and trains cheaper, but don’t 

they could make building standards for insulation in homes better but dont

they could use thermal cameras in the winter to target poorly insulated homes but don’t 

they could legislate against throw away items but don’t 

the global could start a discussion about slowing the growth of the world population but don’t 

apple could make each model last longer but don’t 

makes you wonder why

sure there are things we as individuals can do but some joined up thinking at a global level is required 

before the shortage of drinking water on the planet becomes a huge issue 

I cringe when I hear the young pontificating about  "must have  latest trainers  "    or willingly pay a small fortune for , say,  a bog standard  polo shirt  but with some  inflated  company logo stitched on it .     I fear the truth may show they are all  farmed out to cheap labour in  far eastern sweat shops .    

If the world did away with money as a means of prosperity or trading and went back to what each individual had too offer then the world would be a different place, for those with the money would be worthless and those chasing money would be equal? 
question is will they let it happen - more chance of hell freezing over. 

Totally agree, but I'm not going back to eeking a living from a small holding growing turnips  :^O . 

There is a movement towards reusing and upcycling which is growing - it's what I intend to do as a hobby / retirement income - it's something I enjoy doing.

I'll add a few items to your list that annoy me intensely:-

disposable wipes, get a dish cloth and a bottle of dettol

Primark ****e clothes - not worth buying

all glossy magazines promoting fashion/ shiny stuff that your life isn't complete with - perhaps we should ban advertising, or at least severly control it.

as above but same ****e on social media.

free market captialism, which doesn't give a toss about what/ who it damages to make a quick buck - I have no problems with conducting business, but it has to be reigned in with some basic morals

plastic wrappings on everything, eg socket in a plastic bag, screws in another plastic bag in the bag.... 

gutless goverments who moan that it will hurt business to stop these things so don't 

lack of foresight from same governments - have you noticed the Japanese ads for Hydrogen lately? Proper bit of foresight that I'm sure will pay off.

lazy effing parents that drive kids to local school - go to bed earlier instaed of whatching ****e on Netflix all night and maybe they would have time to walk to school, and get fitter in the process.

plastic wrappings on everything, eg socket in a plastic bag, screws in another plastic bag in the bag.... 

Single use plastic needs banning

last time I was in Sainsburys I noticed that they had finally stopped selling bananas in plastic bags ......... so small progress maybe

Single use plastic needs banning

last time I was in Sainsburys I noticed that they had finally stopped selling bananas in plastic bags ......... so small progress maybe
reminds me of another pet hate, importing out of season fruit and veg from halfway around the world. OK UK can't feed itself, but you can still live without strawberries at Xmas - taste lettuced anyway as they are always under-ripe. 

Last edited by a moderator:
reminds me of another pet hate, importing out of season fruit and veg from halfway around the world. OK UK can't feed itself, but you can still live without strawberries at Xmas - taste lettuced anyway as they are always under-ripe. 
the supermarkets would say its what the consumer wants

id be quite happy eating in season fruit and veg on the whole

Kids need beating round the head with big sticks, they go on about reducing power consumption and yet the internet is the biggest consumer of power worldwide, they rave on about how we should use solar or wind power, how? I know the worl is changing but last time I looked there's no sun at midnight, well not in most of the world there isn't. Windpower too doesn't work, drive over the pennines on a very windy day and marvel at all the turbines standing idle because they cannot be used in wind above a certain speed.Kids these days seem to come up with all kinds of loony ideas without thinking them through properly.

Totally agree, but I'm not going back to eeking a living from a small holding growing turnips  :^O . 

There is a movement towards reusing and upcycling which is growing - it's what I intend to do as a hobby / retirement income - it's something I enjoy doing.

I'll add a few items to your list that annoy me intensely:-

disposable wipes, get a dish cloth and a bottle of dettol

Primark ****e clothes - not worth buying

all glossy magazines promoting fashion/ shiny stuff that your life isn't complete with - perhaps we should ban advertising, or at least severly control it.

as above but same ****e on social media.

free market captialism, which doesn't give a toss about what/ who it damages to make a quick buck - I have no problems with conducting business, but it has to be reigned in with some basic morals

gutless goverments who moan that it will hurt business to stop these things so don't 

lack of foresight from same governments - have you noticed the Japanese ads for Hydrogen lately? Proper bit of foresight that I'm sure will pay off.

lazy effing parents that drive kids to local school - go to bed earlier instaed of whatching ****e on Netflix all night and maybe they would have time to walk to school, and get fitter in the process.
Amen to that brother, it's like parents who moan about the cost of feeding their kids, 'have you seen how much it costs to get pizza's from dominoes?'  Well how about you try cooking you lazy cow, and teach your kids the meaning of the word 'NO'! 'little Oliver will only eat chips from Maccys'  she says, really, well leave little Oliver with me for a week, he'll be gratefull for a round of bread and butter when I've finished with him.

Parents who bring their daughters up like little princesses, well get real kids, this isn't a fairytale it's life in 21st century Britain and unless your dad is really rich you're probably gonna end up stacking shelves in Aldi for a living and then going home to your layabout pot smoking boyfriend and snotty nosed little brats! Oh and on the subject of snotty little brats, why do people think that when they go on holiday THEIR kids become everyone elses responsibility, 'Ahh he's only enjoying himself' they say as I'm trying to hang him from the nearest light fitting, ' we're on holiday you know, we need a break'.' Really would you like that break to be an arm or a leg?' I almost snarl as I try and wipe the beer he's spilt, my beer actually, from my jeans so I look a little bit less an incontinent old fart who's carrotted his self.

I could rant on about kids and thick parents for ages, but I won't,  it all comes back to the 'OCOPK' theory, ' our little Harry is such a well behaved child' his mother will tell you, however when 'Harry' gets caught pinching chocolate from the local Tesco with little Simon his mother invariably replies along the lines of , 'That Simon is a right little sod, some people have no idea how to bring kids up, e's a bad influence on my child that kid is'  It's funny, but I've never met a parent in that situation who will even CONSIDER the possibility that it was their son who suggested going nicking something.

I know where you are coming from. Just take solace in the fact the pig **** thick kids of pig thick **** parents will always be on the bottom rung of life and now the benefits have been capped there is no financial gain in dropping more than 2 kids