Got a call today about some damaged cables ........

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
from an out of area company - so I agreed to take a look thinking a couple of cables had been damaged

This is a selection of photos I took:

Photo 1.jpgphoto 2.jpgPhoto 3.jpgPhoto 4.jpgPhoto 5.jpgPhoto 6.jpg

Makes you wonder why anybody would think any of this is acceptable practice given a floor was about to be laid

None of the holes had any grommets and the structure as far as I could tell wasn't earthed

This shoddy practice is what the IET needs to clamp down on, not adding AFDD's

“Policing” this is not the realm of the IET, it is down to the “scams”, & Building Control.

The rules/law actually prohibits the IET from being allowed to control this.

But they contribute to the situation by adding unnecessary complexity to the regs

The IET are so so so guilty of this

If the IET understood the issues they wouldn't churn out edition after edition, amendment after amendment stuffed full of errors and ambiguity ....................

And for the record NOBODY gets named who make decisions, and thus we all have to deal with the fall out.

"its not our problem" is used by nearly everybody in the civil service at every level .......................

The IET are beginning to understand the issues, but they have the “industry” as in the “scams” telling them that there are no issues, and these problems do not exist.

As far as changes to the regs go, this is the way it is, and always has been, look at the dates of the revisions in the front of the book, you will see that it has always been around 3 years.  Plus we have to keep up with technological changes and the IEC requirements.

You seem only concerned about BS 7671, try looking at the wider perspective, and keeping up with the broader sector and the costs involved in that, then you will see that keeping up with BS 7671 is summat and nowt.

The frustration is not borne from the perpetual regulation change it’s more from the seemingly lowering standards that are achieved year on year. Whilst the IET have a job to do to keep up with ever changing technologies/standards, their work is being disregarded by the scams, the training providers and ultimately those being churned out via large companies as so called apprentice trained -when in reality the apprentice has been taught nothing but learned to repetitively do the same thing. I see so many young apprentices and fresh sparks that believe they know what they are doing but know nothing other than what they have done for three years. They don’t ask questions, are not interested in learning just doing. Add to this the training providers churned out muppets then the whole purpose of what the IET does is in vain? There is a core of conscientious sparks-we see them on here- that try to adhere to the regs but feel they are penalised for doing so as so often many don’t adhere to regs as Murdochs pictures demonstrate.
this will only change when the top realised that they haven’t got the reins on the industry they think they have, so I for one really do hope that the IET have woken up to this. 
we don’t need the scams to tell us what to do, we have the regs for that. 
we don’t need manufacturers writing the regs, we have the IET for that. The manufacturers are supposed to manufacture to comply with regs?  
we don’t need scam training providers to do training, we have colleges for that.

we don’t need inappropriate qualifications, we have the tried and tested C&G to provide the appropriate courses. 

so they needs to be a major shake up from top down. 

The IET are beginning to understand the issues, but they have the “industry” as in the “scams” telling them that there are no issues,

As far as changes to the regs go, this is the way it is, and always has been, look at the dates of the revisions in the front of the book, you will see that it has always been around 3 years. 

first point : absolute Radishes. The IET need to talk to the people getting their hands dirty at the coal face, not those filling up their pension pots sitting behind desks

Second point: disagree . It’s not always been 3 years .......fact

I have recently tripped over the E5 podcasts.... the 2nd one was very dismissive of the IETs abilities , so that proves there are some sparks with sense

what the IET and the scams forget, is that it’s hard enough to make a living doing this, let alone trying to keep up with meaningless changes

Last edited by a moderator:
first point : absolute Radishes. The IET need to talk to the people getting their hands dirty at the coal face, not those filling up their pension pots sitting behind desks

Second point: disagree . It’s not always been 3 years .......fact
First point, they have started, hence, the beginning to understand, it is going to be a long journey though.

Second point, check the dates of the previous updates to the regs, and you ill be surprised.

I have recently tripped over the E5 podcasts.... the 2nd one was very dismissive of the IETs abilities , so that proves there are some sparks with sense

what the IET and the scams forget, is that it’s hard enough to make a living doing this, let alone trying to keep up with meaningless changes
Do you know who e5 are, or much about them  @Murdoch?

Because I know an awful lot, certainly more than you about e5 their background, motives, hopes and aspirations funnily enough.

Second point, check the dates of the previous updates to the regs, and you ill be surprised.
of late they may have been 3 years but it hasn’t always been 3 years

Do you know who e5 are, or much about them  @Murdoch?

Because I know an awful lot, certainly more than you about e5 their background, motives, hopes and aspirations funnily enough.
you’re one of them probably

as for their goals and motivations I think it’s fair to say it’s smoke and mirrors

Last edited by a moderator:
Apart from the two world wars, it’s not far away from that, I have quite a few of them.  At least 1 of each main edition, back to about the 4th, and scans of at least one version of each edition.

as for their goals and motivations I think it’s fair to say it’s smoke and mirrors

Why do you make such stupid statements for someone who claims to be an intelligent person?

you’re one of them probably

A simple google search will show you their goals and motivations. How you came to that conclusion is anyone's guess. 

from an out of area company - so I agreed to take a look thinking a couple of cables had been damaged

This is a selection of photos I took:

View attachment 10993View attachment 10994View attachment 10995View attachment 10996View attachment 10997View attachment 10998

Makes you wonder why anybody would think any of this is acceptable practice given a floor was about to be laid

None of the holes had any grommets and the structure as far as I could tell wasn't earthed

This shoddy practice is what the IET needs to clamp down on, not adding AFDD's

Apparently this is the handy work of a NICEIC contractor

nobody.

the prime contractor is speaking to the CPS, but whether they actually do anything ..... what they need to do is send somebody on site to take a look. From Luton to site would take about 75 minutes ,,..
That is the problem, they do ****** all, in fact on the occasions I have attempted to complain about NI registered contractors all I get told is that it is the customer who needs to complain not me, just in case I have a grudge against the contractor in question. No I don't have a grudge against anyone,what I do have is a damn sight more knowledge than the client, which is why , I am the one ringing up if the client knew enough about electrics then one would presume he'd have done the job himself and not had a cowboy in!

And speaking of cowboys,one of those DI's actually had the temerity to tell me I wasn't properly qualified as I didn't hold an NVQ 3! FFS I may not have an NVQ, but with almost 40 years experience and a city and guilds after serving a full apprenticeship I would like to think I know a 'little' bit more than most of these clowns!