Replacing supply cable

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mandiiiii

Reaction score
Hi,

I live in a 9 bed Edwardian  house (so old) and I recently tried to be more environmentally friendly and swap to electrical boiler. The electrician installing power supply noted I only have 60 amp fuse so not enough to run boiler. He notified sse about fuse change. It was denied due to cable coming into property not cable of more then 60amps.

i have 8 children (4 fostered with special needs) so having to turn boiler off everytime I cook or use the kettle is just not practical. I’ve asked sse about updating supply but terrified of costs. Anyone had supply cable upgraded and doesn’t mind sharing costs ? Thank you 

New supplies are expensive  .   Differs by area .       I had a new supply to my house  ,  about 2 mtrs  cable , and the original  cable capped off ...... £800. 

What an earth possessed you to install an electric boiler?  That has to be just about the most expensive way to heat a house, especially a large old house that won't have much if any insulation and will leak a lot of heat.

If you are going to use electricity to heat a house, you should be considering someting like an Air source Heat Pump.  It uses about 1/3 of the electricity because it extracts heat from the air, e.g a 10kW ASHP will provide 10kW of heat but only uses roughly 3 kW of electricity.   It would solve your supply cable issue and slash your heating bills.

The only people that can update your supply will be SSE. It will be a lot of work digging up your garden and the street, and then if the trunk cable in the road is not big enough to support a higher load, they might have to go a long way to find a big enough supply point.  It will be several thousand pounds I would expect.

Hi,

I live in a 9 bed Edwardian  house (so old) and I recently tried to be more environmentally friendly and swap to electrical boiler.

Given that it takes about 3 x the lecky compared with gas I hardly think its better for the environment. Its certainly better for your electricity suppliers profits

Please let us know when you see the winters monthly lecky bills

What an earth possessed you to install an electric boiler?  That has to be just about the most expensive way to heat a house,

Given that it takes about 3 x the lecky compared with gas I hardly think its better for the environment. Its certainly better for your electricity suppliers profits

This is another area I cant get my head round....

All this talk about banning Gas boilers!!!!

How on earth is the supply network going to cope?

If loads of houses have electric boilers..  and a couple of electric cars to charge up. what size cables will we all need into the average home?

:C

Hi,

I live in a 9 bed Edwardian  house (so old) and I recently tried to be more environmentally friendly and swap to electrical boiler. The electrician installing power supply noted I only have 60 amp fuse so not enough to run boiler. He notified sse about fuse change. It was denied due to cable coming into property not cable of more then 60amps.

i have 8 children (4 fostered with special needs) so having to turn boiler off everytime I cook or use the kettle is just not practical. I’ve asked sse about updating supply but terrified of costs. Anyone had supply cable upgraded and doesn’t mind sharing costs ? Thank you 

Erm....

Do I read this that you have already bought this electric boiler?

As the electrician should have done these calculations BEFORE selling you a product that may not be suitable for your property!

Erm....

Do I read this that you have already bought this electric boiler?

As the electrician should have done these calculations BEFORE selling you a product that may not be suitable for your property!
It really makes you wonder when you read something like this, did the OP buy the boiler from somewhere and then ask a local spark to fit it or was it supplied by the spark? I've seen both scenarios, ' the guy in the shop said it would be no problem for any competant electrician to install this in a house' said the lady as she proudly showed me her new 7KW 3 phase all singing all dancing commercial cooker, or then of course we get the spark who just wants to take the clients money, ' there we go love, all wired in, but you can't use it until the leccy board bung a bigger fuse in, it'll be alright they don't charge'.

By the time the poor customer discovers that there's a bit more to it than 'bunging a bigger fuse in' and she's going to have to shell out another few grand, the unscrupulous spark has cashed the cheque and moved onto his next victim.There was one recently advertising on a local forum in my area and when a woman asked how much to connect her new electric cooker that she'd been informed needed it's own feed, which she didn't have, he replied that if there was a socket close by he could comme out of that and it would be about £30

Latest posts