Does no one Rock any more ?????

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great choice, I actually visited Graceland last year, the whole Graceland experience is huge. You have the the house and surrounding land on one side of the road, then opposite they have built the experience including his two planes, his cars, boats and motorbikes and all his outfits and gold records etc. 
certainly worth a visit for those liking Elvis. 

Oddly enough I have been loading up so old music from me childhood onto my phone for listening to at work. Under Rock The iPhone has listed BonJovi, U2, DireStraits, Genesis, Buddy Holly, Beatles and Fleetwood Mac. 

now I don’t have to listen to the youngsters modern music - if that’s how it’s described still? 

Sorry but it would offend my ears to listen to music on a phone, not unless you carry around a decent sized speaker with you wherever you go.

The local BBC  Radio here  Radio WM  plays mostly instantly forgettable  music  , no idea where it comes from .    

It was different today because they celebrated 50yrs  on the air  , started as Radio Birmingham    ,  so records from 1970  .       And what happened  ?  Everyone was phoning in  to say they enjoyed the music .   Began as  mostly speech station which I quite liked  but now , although still an element of talk   / phone ins  there a lot of this forgettable pop music from  , I think , the last 10 yrs . 

now I don’t have to listen to the youngsters modern music - if that’s how it’s described still? 

I agree .....then I remember  when we  had to go to the coffee bars to hear   Elvis , Buddy Holly , Chuck Berry , Eddie Cochran et al .   as the  radio was ignoring R&R   other than Radio Luxembourg  which became clear after around 9.00 at night  .      And we heard the same as what  I'm saying now about modern pop music.  

My dad got something right I remember ,    a fan of opera & Vera Lynne,    he said most of these guys will just disappear in two yrs  except perhaps the Elvis guy  and this new British one , Cliff Richard ,  his group , The Drifters  (Now Shadows)   are very good you know.  

Favourite Elvis record ,  Girl of my Best Friend ...flip side ..Mess of Blues ,  that was a bargain  at  7/6d   . ( About 40p  but it was a weeks pocket money. )         

The local BBC  Radio here  Radio WM  plays mostly instantly forgettable  music  , no idea where it comes from .    

It was different today because they celebrated 50yrs  on the air  , started as Radio Birmingham    ,  so records from 1970  .       And what happened  ?  Everyone was phoning in  to say they enjoyed the music .   Began as  mostly speech station which I quite liked  but now , although still an element of talk   / phone ins  there a lot of this forgettable pop music from  , I think , the last 10 yrs . 

Ah...

But you needed to wait 5 more years..

till the mid 1970's when independent radio stations launched..

On my side of Birmingham for non-BBC radio, it was the battle between either..

BRMB (Aston Rd North - B/Ham)

or

BEACON 303 (Tettenhall Rd - Wolverhampton).

The days when local independent radio WAS both "Local" & "Independent"...

Guinness

BRMB (Aston Rd North - B/Ham)

or

BEACON 303 (Tettenhall Rd - Wolverhampton).

The days when local independent radio WAS both "Local" & "Independent"...
Thats right Specs  ,   I remember BRMB starting  , as you say in Aston Rd North  ( The old ATV studios )  .  It was a good talk station ,although with adverts ,  definitely covered local  Brum & Black Country .   I believe they were bought out by Global or someone  ,   became a music station , change of name ,   no idea what it is now.   I remember the mighty Ed Doolan  moved from there to  Radio B,ham  (WM)   to great acclaim as a consumer protection programme .      

Beacon was  more  suited to your side of the Mids I'd say .     I worked for a firm in your town for about  7-8 yrs  ,  their work in Brum  up to Dudley & Stourbridge, the Dreaded Round Oak  and then  around the country on overhead cranes .     Office was in Lower High St opposite the  Wool Pack .   

It's a great pity in my opinion that larger groups have been allowed to buy up the locals. The licences should have precluded this outcome from the outset.

We've just lost our last one, Radio Wave. I think that's called Global or something now.