Tony S

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phil d

Reaction score
Friends, I have just learned somesad news and it falls to me to pass it on to my friends on here at the request of his son Carl

It is with deep regret that I have to announce the passing of our dear friends Tony Smith.He had not been in the best of health for several years, however stubborn old ****** that he was, he kept going.

Recently however his health took a turn for the worst and he was hospitalized several times, I spoke to him just after his last visit and to be honest he didn't sound good and I think he knew he was approaching the end.

I had tried to contact him by phone several times, all to no avail and after hearing from you guys that nobody else had heard from him I decided today to contacct his son's employer. After explaining who I was they agreed to pass a message on tohim and ask him to contact me, which he has just done, naturally he is quite upset and has asked me to notify his friends. I knew Tony for a good many years and we met up on various occasions. In his memory I would like to ask you all if you would be so kind as to post your messages of condolence or any funny memories of him on here and I will pass them on to his son Carl.

Rest easy my dear dear friend, you've been called to that great factory in the sky, RIP Tony.

That is so sad, please pass on my condolences to the family

i thoroughly enjoyed reading his posts on the 'big stuff' and his knowledge on motors. Never met Him but he came across as the sort of bloke I would happily have had a pint with...and that doesn't happen often

hes probably up there now giving Tony Cable an ear bashing

God bless you Tony, I will surely miss your input to this forum, your knowledge surpasses so many. 
Take care our friend, for you will be sorely missed. 
May your family celebrate your life and allow this to surpass the sadness they experience at this time. 

Be in peace. 

A sad loss, very knowledgeable bloke and willing gave it out. RIP Tony and condolences to family and friends. 

Long before any electrical forums, the first time I spoke to Tony about mercury arc rectifiers, it was obvious in seconds that he knew his onions, and equally that he was a genuine bloke who was interesting and fun to chat with. We did occasionally touch upon the subjects of wine, women and song but invariably got straight back to those rectifiers and motors and switchgear topics that he loved to share. How many have had the benefit of that wealth of knowledge over the years? That alone is a valuable legacy. RIP Tony, and condolences to his friends and family.

Very Sad News 

Condolences to Carl, Pink Minx and the rest of his family.

He was an extremely knowledgeable person who was generous with his time to answer questions and a big contributor to the forums (look at his knowledge base)

I'm sorry to hear this, I never met the man but felt like I knew him when reading his posts and PMs. 

RIP Tony

Rest in peace my dear friend . I will miss you so much.  One of the kindest humane person I have ever had the pleasure of knowing.

I will treasure the avatar you gave me all those years ago. God bless you .

Some lovely comments here from you guys, it shows just how well thought of he was, I knew Tony for well over 10 years and met up with him several times, he used to joke that his life was a bit like the old film 'kind hearts and coronets', there was a lot of stuff about him that could only be told after his passing. I guess I can tell you all a little more now about the man whom I considered to be a great friend, someone I  for one will sorely miss.

Tony had an older brother whom he followed into the electrical industry,oddly enough for such a clever bloke, he knew next to nothing about house wiring and the wiring regs although he could quote chapter and verse on the mines and quarries regs, or M&Q as they are known.

His early part of his working life was spent in a quarry where they dug out limestone for the cement manufacturing industry, he also worked in a cement works and also at Tunstead Iron works. He was actually more comfortable working on the bigger stuff, heavy power as he called it, rather than the small stuff in houses, in fact he did ask me to go and fit some double pole RCBO's in his flat because he was unsure how to do them and couldn't sign them off, sadly due to illness and Covid, this was something that I never got around to doing.

He was in a lot of ways a deeply private bloke, he didn't suffer fools gladly and as many of you will know he had a lot of arguments on the forums, but once the argument was over it was all forgotten, he didn't hold grudges.

He travelled extensively in Europe with his wife when he was younger and was very proud of his son Carl, although like a lot of us he never really told him that fact.Outside of work he had many and varied interests, believe it or not he was instrumental in bringing the rave scene to Manchester in the 90's and knew quite a lot about it, his other big interest was classical music. Working in heavy industry whatever Tony did it was done on a big scale, when he rewired his house in Buxton where he lived with his wife, it was all done with stuff 'borrowed ' from work, and had a lot of unusual features. He also worked at ICI and McCain, god he hated their chips, lol. we both worked for the same company for a spell although in different departments and at different plants, he was on the maintenance and I was head of security, but that was good enough for Tony, as far as he was concerned, we were workmates, he was like that.

I remember we met on one of the forums and began to ring each other, then after about 2 years talking he invited me down to his flat in Nottingham, that'swhen things got really interesting!You see Tony had another side, one that not everyone knew about, Tony was gay, well actually he was Bisexual, and on certain occasions it bothered him, it didn't go with his image.

I remember our first meeting very well, naturally Tony had not told me of his 'other side' and had invited me over to Nottingham, we met outside his local pub, THE FORRESTERS, now there were two pubs of this name in Nottingham, one was the 'arms' and the other the 'inn', one was the haunt of gays and the other a lesbian pub. Tony had invited me over and then on seeing me he panicked a little, how would I react to finding out about his sexuality, it was something that although he was comfortable with it in his self, he often worried about how others would see him, I think it was because, and it seems odd to say it, but he didn't  'look queer' as he put it. He was a big powerful bloke when I first met him, standing six feet tall and well built, "I'm not your typical limp wristed fairy" he joked with me.

He needn't of worried, I liked the man, we had some good laughs, the beer flowed and a good time was had by all, in fact the landlord, John, was quite worried about his Guiness being up to my standards, Tony had formed an opinion of me on the telephone that I was likely to become violent at the drop of a hat, something that my appearance that first meeting did little to dispel. One time I got roaring drunk and wandered off around Nottingham, Tony was mortified as certain parts of the place were quite rough and he was concerned I would end up getting stabbed or something.

Outside of the electrical world for which most of us knew him he had several other interests, classical music, steam trains and Photography, in fact he used to do a lot of wedding photographs when he was younger in the Buxton area and even developed his own films in a darkroom in his loft. he also did stuff for work and several other places. As I said earlier he was also involved in the early days of the Manchester rave scene and would travel between there and Buxton in his Ford Sierra, always in the early hours and often at high speed. One night he was heading home and a car had followed him for several miles, Tony had put his foot down but the car kept up, eventually he'd had enough and stood on the breaks, the car behind narrowly avoided hitting him, Tony jumped out to confront the idiot, only to find out it was two of Derbyshire Constabulary's finest in an unmarked car, he gave them a bollocking for being up his arse, and drove off!

Once upon a time he'd organised a rave night for members of the gay community in a large club and a gang of Hooligans turned up intent on a bit of 'queer bashing', also the same evening a number of National Front supporters had visited the area, they were intent on a bit of 'paki bashing', back in the day someone was always bashing someone. Anyway the 'queers' were taunted into coming out of the club and a fairly large fight broke out, at this point the  mob realised it wasn't going to be a walk over and they were taking quite a beating, then to make matters worse, their little debacle collided with the NF mob who'd been driven in from the other end, clearly the 'paki bashing' wasn't going well either! Tony somehow managed to get all the gays and the pakistani's back into the club leaving the police to deal with the troublemakers, much to the relief of the local police chief.

He was also well known on the fetish scene in his younger days and being good at design he designed his own costumes, this led to a nice little earner, as he put it having costumes made for other people, one of his proudest moments was when he was asked to be in the film 'Spice world' something he turned down as he didn't want to embarrass his son Carl with, although later he said that when Carl found out about it he said he'd have been proud, not embarrassed.

In later years he began to suffer from what I suppose you'd call mental health problems, he didn't like going out on his own, a far contrast from in his younger days and he began to drink quite a bit.He'd heard about the 'Elex' shows and wanted to visit one, but not on his own, I said I would go with him and to my surprise he booked us in at a top Harrogate hotel and treated me to a nice meal. He forced himself to get the train up there which was a challenge for him but he did it, and we spent the first evening drinking and dining before visiting the show the next day, I traveled home leaving him for a second night in the hotel during which time he ended up having a go at Tony Cable!" He was spouting Bowlocks", said Tony later, he then added, "don't ever leave me in the same hotel with him again".

I remember him asking me to help him with a very big job once, it was all HVstuff, moving a substation and some 132Kv kit on a large site in Doncaster, he'd been off the tools for a good while then and was looking forward to it. I drove to Nottingham and we then went to Doncaster, there we were all sat around this big table in a posh office, Tony, me, a guy from the railway, one of the senior engineers from Yorkshire Electricity, and the client, a young lad acting on behalf of his uncle, a wealthy Jewish businessman. The first problem was access to the substation, the young lad had lost the keys, Tony was getting annoyed and I went out and typical for me I took the lock of with a cordless grinder, that I just happened to have in my car, well doesn't everyone! We were all taking notes and this young lad was frantically scribbling on a pad, Tony thought he was really keen until he glanced across at his work, the rest of us had sheets of paper filled with figures on voltage, current loadings, power factors and the like, this guy had doodled a house, it was like something out of playschool! ,Tony lost interest after that, it was clear we were dealing with an idiot.

Also in the car was my German Shepherd, she growled and snarled at everyone, Tony included, undettered he insisted I stop off at the motorway services, he was going to buy some bacon sandwiches, he returned with three massive bacon barms, one for me, one for him and one for the dog. He then went to the rear of the car and opened it, the dog in the cage went mental, Tony sat there and chatted to the dog all the while feeding her bacon barmcake, then when she'd eaten it he went to stroke her, she went to bite him, they were both as determined as each other, he was going to be friends, she wasn't, right up until a couple of months before his death he was still saying he wanted to meet her again, he was convinced he would eventually get to stroke her. I remember the first time he went out in my car, a large white Volvo, it had loads of kit on for work and looked like a police car without the police badges, Tony hated it, not the car, just the look of it, he also didn't like the speeds I drove at, odd considering he did the same thing when he was younger.

He often came across as quite blunt, some would say rude, but a lot of it was a front with Tony, I remember late one night a couple of years ago, it was fairly late on and my phone rang, it was he. He'd had some test results back earlier that day and they were not good, basically his liver was shot, he'd done what he did in these situations and opened a bottle and in a way I can honestly say I would probably have done the same thing. He broke down on the phone and was sobbing, he was very frightened about dying really and wanted to talk but even then he was appologising, it was late and I had my own problems, he kept reminding me, to be honest I didn't care, he was a mate and he was in trouble, I owed it to him to listen and try and calm him down, he'd been there for me when I was at a low ebb, we were mates. I remember joking with him about how he had a private pension due and if he died it would all go to the taxman, that sorted him out, he hated the taxman and the thought of him getting the cash seemed to drive him on, he went on a bit of a spending spree and I talked him into buying a set of chefs knives that he'd fancied for ages, Tony was also interested in cooking and good at it too.

I remember the last time I spoke to him, he told me he'd been in hospital again and had fluid drained off his stomach, they'd sent him home and he was to go back again a couple of weeks later, he'd had the same procedure done a few times at this point and I joked about them fitting a drain valve. He'd really had the hump in hospital, someone had been smoking on the ward and a nurse had accused Tony, it wasn't him and he was p155ed off over it, "If it had been me I would have held my hand up" he told me. I used to ring him in hospital, he had a pay as you go mobile and ran out of credit so I topped it up for him, then to save him using the credit, when he rang me I wouldn't answer, then I'd ring him back, he thought I was being funny at first. lol I remember the last time we spoke, it was mid morning and he'd been up all night, I can't remember who rang who but we chatted for a while and he asked how I was, he always asked if I was ok, even though it was clear he wasn;t in good health himself, he sounded really tired and it was only a short conversation, about 15 minutes, back in the day we'd chat for hours.Finally he said he was going to try and get some sleep, he was in a lot of pain and wanted to rest, that was the last I heard from him that was on the 12th of October.

He was one hell of a bloke, very knowledgeable, honest and spoke his mind, I decided to write this to give those of you who maybe didn't know him as well as I did a little more insight into the man who was known on a lot of forums simply as Tony S, well to me he was like a brother, at times he could be a right cantankerous old sod, he was as grumpy as me, well almost, if he answered the phone with "allo you" then you knew he was in a good mood, if it was "what do you want" then he wasn't, we'd put the world to rights on many an occasion two people each with a beer, both on the end of a phone line moaning about how times had changed and how there were too many rules and regs and not enough 'proper' electricians any more. I could go on and on with funny stories about Tony, but I won't.

Rest in peace Tony my old pal, I for one will miss you.

Condolences to Tony’s family and friends.

Phil that is a fantastic eulogy, I don’t mind saying that I have shed a tear reading this.

I am not good at writing the right thing at times like this.

If I am the next to go because of this bloody cancer I shall be sure to tell him how much he’s missed.

Condolences to Tony’s family and friends.

Phil that is a fantastic eulogy, I don’t mind saying that I have shed a tear reading this.

I am not good at writing the right thing at times like this.

If I am the next to go because of this bloody cancer I shall be sure to tell him how much he’s missed.
I must admit I'm not very good at writing either, I just woke up in the early hours thinking about him and the laughs we had and put my thoughts on paper, knowing Tony he's probably looking down and cursing me just now, I don't care, lol, I just want everyone to know what a bloody good bloke he was.

Sorry to hear about your illness, I don't go on forums much these days so only read about you last week, chin up mate, keep telling yourself things will work out, I don't fancy doing a eulogy for you just yet, and I mean that in the nicest possible way. Take care mate.

My condolences to Tony's family  ,  like others I never met him other than on this forum .         However  Tony's  personality & depth of knowledge came through within the boundaries of a typewritten Forum  along with a wry sense of humour .      

Is it possible to pass our messages on to Tony's family ?  Specially the one from Phil D . 

Condolences from  Deke in Brum  :Salute

My condolences to Tony's family  ,  like others I never met him other than on this forum .         However  Tony's  personality & depth of knowledge came through within the boundaries of a typewritten Forum  along with a wry sense of humour .      

Is it possible to pass our messages on to Tony's family ?  Specially the one from Phil D . 

Condolences from  Deke in Brum  :Salute
I'm going to print everything in a week or so and send it off to Carl, he'll know just how well thought of his dad was.

Sad the hear this news.

Tony was one of those contributors that I would always search for in the longer threads as I knew it would be worth finding out his opinions amongst the masses every time.

🙏

Almost a year to the day he emailed me his cumulative volt drop spreadsheet. Free with his knowledge to the end! Had another pm from I can't make head nor tail of now, something about did I get a ring and half crowns! 😂 No idea then from memory and now I'll never know. I sense he had a good sense of humour or maybe it was the meds! 

If I can add my condolences to the rest.

RIP 

Almost a year to the day he emailed me his cumulative volt drop spreadsheet. Free with his knowledge to the end! Had another pm from I can't make head nor tail of now, something about did I get a ring and half crowns! 😂 No idea then from memory and now I'll never know. I sense he had a good sense of humour or maybe it was the meds! 

If I can add my condolences to the rest.

RIP 
That's right. He collected sovereign coins and other items from the Royal Mint 

Last edited by a moderator: