Earthing arrangement

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Traineeboy

Reaction score
Hi guys I under about earthing arrangements but I saw this the other day ( see attached photo) 

Although the earth is coming from the service head ( which would tell me it’s a TN-C-S or PME) it then goes into the sheath of the cable that then feeds the main consumer unit. Is this still a TN-C-S system ? 

Also as there is two fuses , one that feeds the house and another one that supplies the neighbours would this be two phase power as the fuses are attached to one service head ? Or is it still single phase as the house it supplies they only have one phase to their consumer unit. 

Thanks 

service head.jpg

Lol yeah we’re noting that on the cert. it is under cover of a lean to but we are noting it. 

I am right in thinking though it’s a PME as when the earth leave the service head it is attached to the Armouring of the swa to the house ? I assume that at the point of the head it is a PME. 

I assume that at the point of the head it is a PME. 
I'm not sure TBH  . Its a split -con cable  by the look of it ,   which I think ,  could be either   PME or  TN-S  .  

They should have labelled   the cut-out  really .     What you call " Armouring "   looks like  more split - con to me. 

You 'd have to ask the DNO .        Looks like a lash up TBH .    

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen some weird split concentric supply arrangements in my time but that one might take the biscuit. I'd guess TN-S but could be PME as Mr Evans points out. Test PEFC and PSCC and see if they're almost identical....

The few houses I seen around here, where two share one  street  main connection, are both on the same phase.

I like the piece of polythene. Is that IP44?

I've seen some weird split concentric supply arrangements in my time but that one might take the biscuit. I'd guess TN-S but could be PME as Mr Evans points out. Test PEFC and PSCC and see if they're almost identical....
Right got ya. So if the PEFC and PSCC then it’s a PME right ? 

I mean if the PEFC and PSCC are the same then it’s a PME right ? 

Right got ya. So if the PEFC and PSCC then it’s a PME right ? 

I mean if the PEFC and PSCC are the same then it’s a PME right ? 
Yes, if PEFC and PSCC are identical or almost identical then chances are high it's TN-C-S arrangement which may be PME'd. I don't know why they wouldn't link the earth and neutral in the head though if is PME hence my first guess as TNS.

I think the UK DNO's keep records of installations....might be worth a call to enquire with them.

Latest posts