Numskull

Twin Fluorescent Fitting

Question

Numskull

I have a twin 5ft fluorescent fitting in the garage. When switched on both tubes (new 2 months ago) light perfectly, no flickering, but after about 5 mins both tubes go out, totally. Switching the power off/on restarts them.....for 5 mins.

At first I thought it was a ballast problem but the fitting has 2 ballasts.

The only thing common to both tubes is the capacitor. Could a dodgy capacitor cause this problem ???

Capacitor replacement is only a few pounds as opposed to changing the whole fitting.

Thanks in advance

8 answers to this question

Murdoch

Do you have any test kit?

SPECIAL LOCATION
27 minutes ago, Numskull said:

I have a twin 5ft fluorescent fitting in the garage. When switched on both tubes (new 2 months ago) light perfectly, no flickering, but after about 5 mins both tubes go out, totally. Switching the power off/on restarts them.....for 5 mins.

At first I thought it was a ballast problem but the fitting has 2 ballasts.

The only thing common to both tubes is the capacitor. Could a dodgy capacitor cause this problem ???

Capacitor replacement is only a few pounds as opposed to changing the whole fitting.

Thanks in advance

The better solution IMHO is convert it to LED...

i.e. by-pass all the internal start-up gubbins and fit a pair of LED 5ft Tubes..

Unless the fitting itself is really old an knackered when any tubes go, or ballasts start failing, I tend to just convert to LED.

Guinness

Numskull
16 minutes ago, Murdoch said:

Do you have any test kit?

Just a multimeter (AVO)

Onoff

I find a good whack usually restarts my florries in the garage. Another job, another day.

😂

Murdoch
25 minutes ago, Numskull said:

Just a multimeter (AVO)

on the basis you know how to use it, , I would check the voltage at the incoming cable to the light - just the other day I saw an identical issue and it was caused by a faulty light switch "breaking" the contact after a couple of minutes.

As for LED replacements - YUK

Numskull
27 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I find a good whack usually restarts my florries in the garage. Another job, another day.

😂

First thing I tried bud🤣

Geoff1946

The capacitor is there for power factor correction and I doubt you would notice it's demise unless it shorted and tripped a breaker.

BOTH tubes go off simultaneously ?   If it's a standard fitting that's really odd because I would expect the  two circuits to have nothing in common except the incoming supply.

I would be looking very carefully at all the connections, on the terminal block and the internal wiring where both circuits may share. A few fittings have an internal fuse holder, look for that.

Note ONE tube going out after a while is often the starter, but I can't think of any reason why that should trigger the other to go off.

Numskull
25 minutes ago, Murdoch said:

on the basis you know how to use it, , I would check the voltage at the incoming cable to the light - just the other day I saw an identical issue and it was caused by a faulty light switch "breaking" the contact after a couple of minutes.

As for LED replacements - YUK

Good thinking....I'll have a dabble

1 minute ago, Geoff1946 said:

The capacitor is there for power factor correction and I doubt you would notice it's demise unless it shorted and tripped a breaker.

BOTH tubes go off simultaneously ?   If it's a standard fitting that's really odd because I would expect the  two circuits to have nothing in common except the incoming supply.

I would be looking very carefully at all the connections, on the terminal block and the internal wiring where both circuits may share. A few fittings have an internal fuse holder, look for that.

Note ONE tube going out after a while is often the starter, but I can't think of any reason why that should trigger the other to go off.

Yep....both going off together is what threw me too.....had me scratching my head . Gonna have a look at the connector and the light switch when I get home from work....fingers crossed.