Electric hob

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeKlos

Reaction score
Your only hope is to associate the wires into groups corresponding to each ring, either by visually tracing them or using a meter.  There look to be enough for each ring to have it's own connections, with luck.

It also looks like one or two of the rings are dual High/low type, having three wires. On those you need to work out which is which.

The controls wiring looks fairly straightforward, with a live and neutral supply to each, and there MAY be helpful legends moulded into the plastic by the presently empty terminals.  Googling the control manufacturer' s site may provide some enlightenment, as might use of a meter.

DO NOT JUST GUESS AND CONNECT, YOU WILL DO DAMAGE.

The moral is do not dismantle something like that without photographing and / or labelling the connections. 

I do not believe they have come off of their own accord. They should require considerable pulling to detach, but if they ARE excessively loose they need squeezing up to tighten them or they will just get hot and burn out.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the back story behind this?  Did it "just fall apart in my hands" or was it cheap and came like this?

Quite apart from how to reconnect them, is a matter of where they connect? There will be a terminal plate of some sort that takes the normal flex and has a load of spade terminals on the other side.

I had a blinder the other week, a mate has bought a house and was doing up the kitchen, I went to disconnect the old cooker, one of those large range types, all electric. It was in very good condition and as it was being skipped I decided to take it home and use it myself, it had clearly not been used much which was probably just as well. When I pulled it out there was a length of 1.5mm flex connecting it to the cooker point, which was odd really considering the ratings plate stated it was a 10Kw unit.

My "range cooker" fault was someone building a new house that I was wiring. They had bought this new. ex display range cooker over a year ago and when we connected it, it just tripped the RCD.  Too late to "send it back" so I had to try and fix it.  It was actually a simple fix, I found one internal wire pinched between 2 metal parts, a manufacturing error that escaped any testing they did.

My "range cooker" fault was someone building a new house that I was wiring. They had bought this new. ex display range cooker over a year ago and when we connected it, it just tripped the RCD.  Too late to "send it back" so I had to try and fix it.  It was actually a simple fix, I found one internal wire pinched between 2 metal parts, a manufacturing error that escaped any testing they did.
It's usually something silly like that, or the other old favourite, damp in an element.