Cable calculation

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All, 

I am very rusty on cable calculations as I haven’t really needed to do it very often and kind of need a bit of reassurance. 

I need to supply a 3 phase sub board, 45 meter run in a duct from one switch room to another.

main supply is 100Amp 

Sub board is a 3 phase 100Amp main switch 

I was thinking I would need 35mm SWA 4 core with 20mm separate earth. Does that sound correct. 

Any help is appreciated.

To be honest I don’t know the Ze

it is in a duct under ground with 5 other SWA 

Ambient temp 30

😵 10mm sounds like he is penny pinching! 

Hi m8,

it’s 100Amp main switch

a sub contractor installed a 16mm SWA for this already but it has been flagged that it is too small. 

they now want the cable calculation. This is what I am struggling with. 

cheers

Hi m8,

it’s 100Amp main switch

a sub contractor installed a 16mm SWA for this already but it has been flagged that it is too small. 

they now want the cable calculation. This is what I am struggling with. 

cheers
I was replying to kerching 

I would have said 16mm would not have been big enough h to start with from. Day 1 as I'd have said min 25mm ideally 35mm due to possible. Load at 100 Amps I would have to do a calculation but I'm out at the moment 

I would have said 16mm would not have been big enough h to start with from. Day 1 as I'd have said min 25mm ideally 35mm due to possible. Load at 100 Amps I would have to do a calculation but I'm out at the moment 
It’s the calculation part I’m not confident with. I would think a 35mm 4 core would be fine. If you can help me out with the calculation when you have time that would be great. 👍👍

My thoughts exactly...can't get him to understand that he has used thermosetting ratings BUT his terminals are not 90° so he needs to derate to PVC ratings....anyway, not my monkeys, not my circus
I wouldn't have put 63 amps onto a 10mm in any case I'd have upped it from a safety sizing POV to be on the safe side at that level of current and protection.

Hi Badger

Would you have any time to help me out with this calculation?? Like I said I don’t have the Ze but just an idea would be helpful. Cheers

Load?

Earthing arrangement?

PFC?

Ze/Ra?

Distribution or final circuit?

Any lighting?

Installation method?

Load?

Earthing arrangement?

PFC?

Ze/Ra?

Distribution or final circuit?

Any lighting?

Installation method?
The load is 100Amps

just now the board is on a TT 

but I can run an earth in with the new SWA 

Ze 0.08

its in a duct buried 

45 meter run

all that we are putting onto this board is 6 car charging points 

6 x 32Amps

Using 50mm CSA 70c SWA I get VD of 3.6 using the resistive load column.

R1+R2 of 0.034 ohms giving Ze of 0.114.

PFC 4.95Ka.

Adiabatic has 1.06mm for copper and 2.40mm for steel armour for a 5 second disconnection time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for that Sidney, it’s appreciated.

I got to say I didn’t think it would be a 50mm SWA. Don’t know if I would get that through the duct🙈

35mm is only good for 98 amps buried direct for three phase.

Last edited by a moderator: