Economy 7

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alwena

Reaction score
Does storage heater suppose to cost so much, £10 every day i put in my meter and thats with 3 storage heaters . Ive done a comparison with energy suppliers and there all the same  

Get rid of the pre payment meter and get a credit meter with a normal monthly or quarterly bill. That will give you a lot more options for changing supplier.

Storage heaters are not the cheapest but if you have no gas what else can you do?  Oil perhaps.

But the bottom line the high cost of heating is down to poor levels of insulation in the house.  I am currently paying about £8 per week to heat my house.

£8 a week, waw i wish i could that. I was paying £44 a month in the other house but that was gas but only recently moved here a few back, ive had to switch them off now and leave just one on, yes i think i will do that and change the meter

The cheapest thing you can do to improve insulation is in the loft. If it’s not about 10 inches , the add more - the modern stuff isn’t tricky to install, an generally isn’t itchy

as Dave says, definitely get the prepaid meter changed for one where you can have monthly direct debit bills, then use the comparison sites to get a decent deal

hope this helps

Does storage heater suppose to cost so much, £10 every day i put in my meter and thats with 3 storage heaters . Ive done a comparison with energy suppliers and there all the same  

It may be correct.. Or you may be charged the wrong rate?

But what is your Economy 7 charge?

and what rating are the storage heaters?

Do you know how to calculate how much you will pay by checking the  Unit cost, Power & duration?

If not this may help..

Electrical Units are charged by things called KiloWatt-Hours..

which is the cost for the consumption of 1 kilowatt of electricity for an hour.

Your heaters will have a power rating in Watts (or Kilowatts)  1000watts = 1 KiloWatt.

If you had three 2.5KiloWatt (2500Watt), heaters all switched on for 8 hours..

that is  3 heaters x 2.5 kilowatts x 8 hours = 60KiloWatt/Hours.   {3x2.5x8}

If 1KiloWatt-hour is charged at 17p per unit that would be 60x17p = £10.20 

You will need to double check your own expected figures to see if you are being overcharged..

(A) Heater#1 kW

(B) Heater#2 kW

(C) Heater#3 kW

(D) Duration hours

(E) Unit charge.

(A+B+C) x (D) x (E).

Guinness

A large storage heater is usually rated for a 7 hour charge and consumes about 3Kw of electricity, so can store about 21kWh of heat each night.  Assuming your off peak rate is say 10p per unit, that could use £2.10 of electricity per day.  If all 3 heaters are large ones, that would be £6.30 per day.

In practice they won't use that much as they usually have some heat from last night so are not "empty" and you rarely have them on their highest input setting.

I suspect your £10 per day also covers your daytime usage and I suspect you are on an expensive tariff due to the pre payment meter.