What the B stands for in IPXXB...

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ingenious! Do you think it's fire rated??? 

For about 30 seconds yeah  :D

Isn't that also a mix and match of MCB's?

old and new Control Gear by the looks of it. 

Yeah they're all Lewden in a Lewden enclosure. The odd coloured one is a newer one, a C type. 

The only logical (I use that term loosely) reason for them doing it was to seal the hole at the back of the consumer unit but they only did the one so makes no sense at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bubble wrap. New Build, say no more.

The armouring was connected at the other end. CPC via the 3rd core. 

You are just getting too old and picky!!!

Don't you know that new builds have to meet strict quality control criteria..!

And that Part-P eliminated ALL cowboy electricians out of the system..?

:shakehead

You are just getting too old and picky!!!

Don't you know that new builds have to meet strict quality control criteria..!

And that Part-P eliminated ALL cowboy electricians out of the system..?

:shakehead

I'd forgotten how much of a success part P was at improving the standards of electrical installations as a money making exercise  :lol:

Aren't new builds down to the NHBC to inspect?

From what I understand of it they're approved by NHBC for the 10 year guarantee but local area building control issue certification for compliance with building regs. I think the LABC on a lot of estates don't check anything it's done by an approved freelance inspector, similar to self certification I think. 

All the above could be wrong it's just from what I've gathered from round our way. 

Certainly round our way there are a lot of them without any electrical certificates. The gas is usually there but nothing for the electrics. 

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I understand of it they're approved by NHBC for the 10 year guarantee but local area building control issue certification for compliance with building regs. I think the LABC on a lot of estates don't check anything it's done by an approved freelance inspector, similar to self certification I think. 

All the above could be wrong it's just from what I've gathered from round our way. 

Certainly round our way there are a lot of them without any electrical certificates. The gas is usually there but nothing for the electrics. 
I remember some years ago, I didn't normally do domestic but ended up on a job for a builder I knew as the spark had let him down, anyway the building inspector turned up and we got talking, and what he told me really worried me, and explained a lot.

I asked him how he found it, keeping up with all the recent changes in the regs, there'd been quite a few at the time, not just on the sparking side but on other trades as well. "well, I don't really have to study the new regs, none of us do, you guys are the professionals, so if you tell me that this installation complies with the latest regs and you are issuing a ticket, then I take your word for it"

Well that explained a lot didn't it, the thing is if building control are not trained up to police the trades then what is the point of building control, after all, most people are under the impression that BC are the last line in making sure everything is done correctly.

What I've  noticed is a lot of people who have their Part P document, but no EIC ....................

I think the CPS's should update their systems so that a photo of the CU is uploaded along with a copy of the EIC .........