ring circuit with zero resistance live to live, neutral to neutral.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonymande

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Came across a ring circuit today whilst doing eicr and the readings were 0.00 live to live, neutral to neutral.

Tested with 2 different meters ( megger multifunction ). Even with the smallest ring circuit i should get some kind of resistance.

Any ideas ???

Oh, there are 3 ring circuits in the board. all reading the same.

Thanks

Choc block under the floor? Seem that before

check the rings at a socket and see what readings you get

Last edited by a moderator:
How many sockets does the ring supply..

How far away are they?

Its not rocket science to calculate the expected resistance of 10m of 2.5mm..

So you can soon establish if something is wrong by the "readings you get" -vs- "size of the property"..

you can soon verify if your meters fault by using a suitable check-box or Cal-Card device & last calibration records..

Have you checked for Figure-of-Eight bridges across the ring...

Seen rings extended at a socket before where all four lives are joined together and all four neutrals joined together etc..

I would say all these circuits need further investigation...

Guinness

Agree with all the comments above, something is either wired wrong or your meter is out of whack, just a thought, you didn't null your leads to use a long wander lead did you? if you did and then went back to the normal leads this could cause issues, I'd test the meter with a check box for a start and if you haven't got a check box then try measuring a known resistance, a light bulb will do, and see if that reads what you expect.