Wall chase

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

It's afirstforme

Reaction score
Hi I Chased a wall top of the ceiling and on the corner
While chasing I found out that hole drilled to pass the cables the brick around it was crumbling and loose
I then proceded to fill the area around the cables with morta to stabilise the bricks
But now am thinking this is not the best course, something to to do with cement degradation of cables??
I intend to fill the chase without capping as there is quite a few cables running 2 of which are 10mm
The wiring was done a long time before I moved in and placed in a trunking so they did not carer if they were flat
The other thing is where the cables are running I discovered a conduit running vertical to a switch below so it would make capping over that then to plaster it build mound

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Am I right in understanding that this house has been wired in surface mounted trunking (usually white 25x16mm) and now you want to sink the cables into the wall? 
if so you have to be aware that there are specific zones(areas) where cables must go when sunk in wall. Can you upload some pics you will need to use a third party photo app and post up on forum. 

As Sharpend said to comply with BS7671 wiring regulations there are restrictions where cables can be buried into walls,

these are called Safe-Zones.

Safe-Zones do not apply to surface fixed cables... 

So it is possible to have a cable run on the surface of a wall, (either clipped or in trunking), that is perfectly safe and compliant with BS7671..

But if buried in the wall, it may not be compliant as it is not within a Safe-Zone.

So you need to be aware of that when considering where you are chasing & burying your cables..

Basically you need to keep them vertically or horizontally in line with an accessory, switch/socket etc..

Or within 15cm of a corner between ceiling and wall or corner between two walls..

Guinness  

Latest posts