Convert halogen light to LED

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Englmi

Reaction score
I have an ceiling DAR light that consists of 6 x 20W halogen MR12 lamps. It is not bright enough and I want white lighting not warm white. Want to convert to LED by replacing the transformer in the light fitting with an LED driver but need advice on what LED Driver to buy (wattage/voltage) and any advice when replacing 

My father is a qualified electrician but due to his age is not as knowledgeable with LED lighting unfortunately. 
Thanks 

My advice would be ditch the transformer, change the lamp holders and fit 240V GU10 LED lamps.

Your qualified gather should be well capable of advising you.

My advice would be ditch the transformer, change the lamp holders and fit 240V GU10 LED lamps.

Your qualified father should be well capable of advising you.

Ditto...

Avoid Transformers / Drivers, wherever possible..

(may be essential in some bathroom situations where 230v lamps may conflict with zones)..

Majority of the time 230v lamps are permitted and far more reliable than any 12v (or 24v) lamps..

basic rule.. Less links in the chain = less possibilities of failure!

Guinness

Thanks all. I really wanted to keep my existing DAR light fitting as it was a present from my mum for my 30th but just want to convert it to LED 

Latest posts