ASHP - Loft installation

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ianspirational

Reaction score
With 100M2 of open space (felt & tiled, very well vented loft), 2300mm high at apex, is it possible to consider placing an ASHP in this space? I can see it would be easy to supply an internal unit as they can be manufactured for internal fitting having 130mm external inward/outward venting, but this seems to fly in the face of energy efficiency where domestic heat will flow to the loft and the unit will be able to retrieve (at least some of) it.  

Any ideas experience of fitting such or problems likely to be encountered? Or even the worth of the effort? 

Thanks.

cold in winter, hot as hell in summer - plenty of heat to recover I suppose. Not seen this done, so I would be inclined to discuss with manufacturers technical team. 

An ASHP needs a LOT of airflow to extract a small amount of heat from a LOT of air.

If you tried putting an ASHP in a loft, even a very well ventilated one, you would just turn your loft into a huge refrigerator and not get anything like as much heat as the ASHP would be capable of. 

They put them outside for a reason.