Bathroom RCD protection

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Traineeboy

Reaction score
I know that within bathroom zones you must have RCD protection. I just wanted to clarify the following ... 

If you are required to replace a light fitting in a bathroom but the current lighting circuit does not have RCD protection then can you just the replace the light if the customer doesn’t want RCD on the lighting circuit. I know part P it not up to the customer but if they just want a light changing then as long as you issue a MW cert and indicate that no RCD is present in the bathroom and customer advised, is this OK. Or do you simply say sorry if you have no RCD protection and you won’t let me install it then I can’t replace the light ?

Also if you are just replacing a light fitting in a bathroom and not changing the circuit ( by adding or moving a light) Then I assume building control don’t have to be notified ? 

Your thoughts 

IIRC the 18th edition requires all circuits in a bathroom, irrespective of zones to have rcd protection. This applies to when you make additions or changes to the hardwiring.

simple replacement of a light does not constitute making a change as it’s like for like, so no RCD required

the only thing to watch out for is customers asking you to fit inappropriate lights in zones, which I would decline to do

Last edited by a moderator:
IIRC the 18th edition requires all circuits in a bathroom, irrespective of zones to have rcd protection. This applies to when you make additions or changes to the hardwiring.

simple replacement of a light does not constitute making a change as it’s like for like, so no RCD required

the only thing to watch out for is customers asking you to fit inappropriate lights in zones, which I would decline to do

Unless the manufacturers instructions say that it needs RCD protection, that is