Old db tripping

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adamad

Reaction score
Hi basically I havea question regarding this job at an old pub being used as a hostel atm.

I have an old crabtree db type f-60, which has for breakers and one of the 60amp breakers keeps tripping,

The current was measured at 65amps and rising. (do I need to upgrade this breaker?)

this breaker is feeding a proteus 400v db with mcbs to feed separate rooms and hallways, however nothing tripped on this board.

please if you understand and can give some useful advice that will be much appreciated.

thanks

adam

No don’t upgrade the breaker call an electrician as you are obviously overloading the breaker and potentially the cable between the two boards which will be susceptible to overheating potentially catching fire. 

It sounds to me as though the breaker is doing exactly what it is designed to do...

i.e. Protecting the cable(s) from overload currents causing irreparable damage...

Fitting a larger (incorrect) rated device would only cause greater damage.

As has been said you need a competent electrician to investigate further..

Guinness

In the short term try to reduce the load at peak times. e.g ask users to turn off space or water heaters before using a cooker,  use washers or dryers when it's not a cooking time. 

Obviously I don't know what you have but 65amps is quite a lot of power, and I gather you're on 3 phase.  

If you have a commercial kitchen that's a likely "high demand" area, so apply the above principle in there.

An electrician may be able to swap some circuits between phases to even the spread of load and that will be cheaper than replacing distribution gear, etc.