Extend wire, how?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t8769

Reaction score
The wire coming out of the wall is not long enough to reach the junction box

How can I add a 1" extension in order to connect this wire to the junction box, and still be safe.

This wire is for an immersion heater, so uses a lot of power, when the connection was not properly insulated it became hot and melted the plastic covering the wire.

Thank you

If the wire got that hot the last few inches won't be suitable for re use.    Nor will whatever the "Junction box" is (Switch Outlet plate etc ?) 

Either cut (carefully) into the wall until you have a freed some of the cable and cut off 3 inches and put a new Immersion heater switch/outlet  or whatever there
Or As above, put a new back box in along the cable route, use that to join the trimmed back cable old cable to a new length with Wago or similar terminals, close that box with a screwed on blanking plate  and reconnect the new cable to a new Immersion switch or whatever 

Take care !

Thanks for the help

1" is 1 inch.

I can't post a photo, sorry, this site won't let me.

It is difficult to put in a Wago or similar terminal, as the wall is concrete. 

I thought perhaps I could put some kind of small terminal, to connect the wire coming out of the wall, and a 1" extension wire.

Thanks

The cause of the overheating was a poor connection...

If there is not enough length to get a Wago or similar terminal then there is most probably insufficient length to create a new secure joint...

So I would think you need to replace a length of cable from the nearest accessible section where you can make a good termination.

Or has been suggested cut it back and reposition the joint.

Remember:  Poor Joints = Overheating = Damaged cables.

Thanks for the help

1" is 1 inch.

I can't post a photo, sorry, this site won't let me.

It is difficult to put in a Wago or similar terminal, as the wall is concrete. 

I thought perhaps I could put some kind of small terminal, to connect the wire coming out of the wall, and a 1" extension wire.

Thanks

There is usually a siwtch to turn the immersion n and off in close proximity. Perhaps the better option is to replace switch with a Fused connection unit with 'flex outlet' and connecting immersion with Heat Resistant flex direct from switch. 

There is usually a siwtch to turn the immersion n and off in close proximity. Perhaps the better option is to replace switch with a Fused connection unit with 'flex outlet' and connecting immersion with Heat Resistant flex direct from switch. 
Not a good idea. A FCU on an immersion heater will get hot, or at least it's 13 amp fuse will.

Not a good idea. A FCU on an immersion heater will get hot, or at least it's 13 amp fuse will.

You could say that about any plug and socket or other electrical accessory. If it's designed to take 13A it's designed to take 13A without self destructing, provided all contacts and terminations are good of course.