Construction during lockdown

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But are we "construction" workers?

Well if I were wiring a new build house then I would say yes.

But today I have been doing some work in a factory, repair and maintenance.  Is that "construction"

About as clear as "you may exercise but stay local"

But today I have been doing some work in a factory, repair and maintenance.  Is that "construction"

I’d call that maintenance and keeping the wheels of the Economy turning

I just want to know if we are in line for an OBE from Maj, services to construction or services to the economy during a pandemic, how many can she give out in one go? 

I wish our new found status as "essential" would push us up the vaccination list......

Yes - this is a bit odd.

It seems that people in their 60's & 70's and retired, will be given the vaccination before the "active & mobile" workers in their 50's

Teachers need be very high on the list too.

I think the MHRA are making these decisions - so we've got no hope changing their minds

Teachers need be very high on the list too.

Agree. My better half is a teacher and despite the propaganda and pictures of socially distanced schools by the government that's far from reality, good luck trying to socially distance 5 year olds all day! 

Schools are closed officially but despite this countless teachers are still going in and classes are running for those children of critical workers (wonder how much somebody got paid for changing the name from key workers). There's usually around 10 kids per class per day.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’d call that maintenance and keeping the wheels of the Economy turning
The irony there is that it was a fish processing factory, but due to Brexit "issues" nobody is exporting fish at the moment, so I was working in splended isolation, just 2 guys in the office nobody in the actual factory.  And a lot less pongy than normal.

So that's the fishermen, the markets, the processors and the haulliers all unable to work.

A corresponding letter has gone out to the manufacturing industry indicating the same.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/951442/letter-business-secretary-to-manufacturing-sector-january-2021.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
The social distancing is not working for us in the commercial side. I'm working with 7 lads and the other trades all on the same site. So how does one really look after oneself in a get it done world. I hope the Covid 19 is a wimp and terrified of the biggest builder on site.  

Agree. My better half is a teacher and despite the propaganda and pictures of socially distanced schools by the government that's far from reality, good luck trying to socially distance 5 year olds all day! 

Schools are closed officially but despite this countless teachers are still going in and classes are running for those children of critical workers (wonder how much somebody got paid for changing the name from key workers). There's usually around 10 kids per class per day.

The primary school I do work for has had 4 outbreaks of the virus - little covid carriers!