Is my unvented pressure cylinder pipework leaking

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Janet

Reaction score
Got numerous patches on the ceiling with water seeping through only at certain times of the day approx 30 mins after hot water goes on.  Never in the morning, showers used immediately after hot water has gone off.  3 days now, I changed the hot water by an hour and the water started seeping through ceiling about 30 mins after the new time.  Does this sound like a leak in the emergency pressure pipework.  We thought it was a bathroom but leak has persisted.

More likely the expansion vessel has failed, so as the water heats up it is venting water through the over pressure relief valve and tundish, and the discharge pipework from the tundish is defective and leaking.

Get it serviced by a competent plumber who will replace the expansion vessel and test it properly, and find and fix the leak in the discharge pipework.

Thanks, plumbers who did the plumbing 3 years ago are coming hopefully tomorrow.  I gave them the exact same info and they have not related the leaks to the pipework in the hot water system.  They said how strange and didn't offer that as the problem. I am no nothing about plumbing but the timing of the leaks coinciding with the hot water coming on, supported by me changing the timing of the hot water and then seeing later leaks tells me this is obvious.  

Sorry, just to add, new house 3 years old  are you saying 2 problems vessel failure and leak in pipework.

You should be able to see the tundish somewhere very close to the tank. It looks like one of these

862cbe7e72648443bc1978ddff4c6974.jpeg.02f3eae9593b05cd7f57bd2790dec7ed.jpeg

Take a look as soon as the hot water comes on and if you can see water dripping through the "gap" (be CAREFUL it could be VERY hot water) then the expansion vessel has failed.  But even if it has failed, water discharging through the tundish should not end up on your ceiling so that is a second fault.

Thank you will take a look in the morning.  Why wouldn't the leaks happen the morning?  

Last edited by a moderator: