2 gang 2 lights problem.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Decharm

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm currently having a little trouble wiring the 2 lights back up to the switch. I removed the switch and took a picture of the wiring. But lost my phone and now I can't for the life of me work it out. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
IMG-20210118-154700.jpg.939ded6aeac078ba5ceecfde090f4c0a.jpg

You have two cables there. Each cable has a red and a black (sleeved brown) core.

One cable for one switch the other cable for the other switch.

Red to COM black to L1   on each switch.

You have two cables there. Each cable has a red and a black (sleeved brown) core.

One cable for one switch the other cable for the other switch.

Red to COM black to L1   on each switch.
Hi I have just tried this method. But it appears one of the switches trip when turned on but the other works fine.

I tried switching it to L2 and it's fine while on but trips when it's turned off 

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi I have just tried this method. But it appears one of the switches trip when turned on but the other works fine.

I tried switching it to L2 and it's fine while on but trips when it's turned off 
What trips?  MCB or RCD?

Have you done ANYTHING else other than change this light switch? and I do mean ANYTHING.

Take another picture of the wiring you have done. Make sure the same cable is on the left or right. Silly, but does happen.

Have you trapped or pierced the insulation on one of the wire while screwing the the switch back onto the wall box?

as that would put a dead short between Live & Earth which would trip the power.

Guinness

Take another picture of the wiring you have done. Make sure the same cable is on the left or right. Silly, but does happen.

But that is unlikely to trip anything at the CU, unless there are two different circuits off different RCD's that you are bridging.

:C

He didn't say where the light switch was. up or down, lounge.

He probably trapped a cable  when he replaced the switch. DIY is helpful only with care.

Latest posts