Van Recommendation.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fly Moose

Reaction score
The problem I am having is what year is best before you should question the Van from dropping to bits. I understand a 100,000 miles on a van say, 2 years old just means its travelled the country. Are these Still worth looking at and has anybody had any reason to avoid.?

The size of van I am looking at is maybe in the region of a Partner Pro van, Ford Connect, Citroen Belingo Enterprise. Looking for good MPG in a van.  

Is there any other problems you could maybe advise on or guide me to best price online Van sales? 

I may be asking a lot here as it is sometimes hit and miss, but any help is most welcome. 

I wont or don't think I can get vat back as I'm an employee to a company and only claim my Petrol back via self assessment. 

Last question to add to this is it best for a loan via a bank or using their sales finance?

My son has had two Vitos through the last ten years. Both were bought high mileage and proved reliable. The first died of a failed clutch which wasn't worth repair but the body hadn't rusted away. There is also a Sprinter in the family bought high mileage and converted to a motorhome, must be 20 years old now but totally reliable though it's had a few bits of welding. I've driven them all and they were nice to drive. If I wanted a van I would definitely look for a Merc.

If you were to have a CPC arrangement then you’ll need to check mileage allowance or additional ppm charge, either way it will increase what you pay. 
A loan is usually better on APR rate but then if over five years for example will you be needing to replace before or after the term of Loan? 
high mileage vehicle well looked after is no worries at all, my last van I sold on at 205000 miles and it is still going to day and that was 2017. 
If you know your way around a vehicle and can keep maintenance costs down by doing yourself then that’s the bonus. 

personally I’d be asking why the company I work for isn’t providing a van? What sort of mileage are you doing for them? 

as per Sharpenend, high milage isn't so much of an issue on vans, if they have been looked after. Van engines are under-powered for reliability and high milage. 

I'm not a great fan of Mercs, as they rust, and fixing bodywork can be V expensive if you want a van that looks tidy. Finding a van that hasn't been battered by a builder can be hard work - I would avoid these as builders also tend to load up vans with bricks and cement, so wear out suspension / brakes etc etc. Whatever you buy I would gt the timing belt changed asap - nothing worse than a snapped belts and wrecked engine. I would also look at brand new 'end of range' vans - they are often sold off cheap. 

VW are overpriced, Vivaros have sorted out their issues with the Euro 5 engine - I have 2 of these. Fiats seem popular and reliable (not sure about their smaller models). Ex motorway works vans can be good - high milage but from easy driving up and down motorways. If you are ony after a small van, perhaps an estate car may work for you?

As for finance, generally you are better off arranging this yourself (not always), I would be looking to see if you can max out some 0% credit cards. 

The reason not to take a van on from our company is one of two things: 

1) They don't really look after the vans and they where mostly all rust buckets. I should say 5 years ago when they gave me a 2003 that was just to say working. I just wanted to get home at night. Not to have to think is this van going to make it home. It had been tested by a garage and past with all system lights still lit up. Yeah right.

2) The use of that tracker. 

Thanks for the great advice so far will start to looking and the timing belt. Good call, I would never know that about. I don't know anything about vans only drive them. I have a theory it should be done  properly as our job should. So I am always ripped off on that too by the garage I use, but to be fair they always get me driving and so far no issues. 

If you know next to nothing then you ideally want a van under 100k miles, depending upon use both yours and prior most vans hold up reasonably well to about 120k before the wear and tear suspension items etc need replacing, which can work out expensive if you’re paying someone to do it. 

it might be worth looking for a sparks van, the BT vans used to be a good buy (see @Evans Electric ) as they don’t generally carry as much weight in them. 

Latest posts